[RFC|Superseded] Notification mail links without forced login

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
xerces8

[RFC|Superseded] Notification mail links without forced login

Post by xerces8 »

(prologue here : viewtopic.php?f=99&t=35034 *)

Currently the link URL in the notification email to the new posts in a thread requires a login, so the forum SW knows the user visited the thread and decides to send new notification on future new posts.

I suggest detecting the users visit without the login.

The additional login step can be distracting or even unwanted (when not on ones own PC etc.).

A rough implementation idea:
use an ID in the URL (similar as with the first registration confirmation URL) that tells the server who is visiting.

Regards,
David

* - are there special forum internal links ? Some forum SW support them. Makes linking to other posts and threads easier. They also remain valid when the site URL is reorganized)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Notification mail links without forced login

Post by DavidIQ »

As you posted in the other topic, such a number is already in the link though it may need to be hashed in order for this to work on a per-user basis. I think it's not a bad idea. Sometimes I don't really feel like logging in after clicking on the e-mail link.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Seems like a good perspective from that point of view, at the same time it makes it less transparent that the board realises who you are / serves that request as if you were logged in even though you really are not. But I guess that is not something you can expect when following a link in an email anyway, so I suppose this makes sense.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Could you please extend your implementation sketch? Once you get back the generated string from the URL, where (and how) do you want to map it to?

- Thanks

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Superseded by newer RFC viewtopic.php?f=108&t=42071