[RFC|Rejected] Built In phpBB3.x FTP Client (phpFTP)

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
Danielx64

Re: [RFC] Built In phpBB3.x FTP Client (phpFTP)

Post by Danielx64 »

EXreaction wrote:Requiring SSL would mean that most boards couldn't use the feature.

I do agree that it would be something nice to have for some board owners, but the security consequences for the server are too great to include this in with the default package of phpBB. For me personally, it's easier to use an FTP client than it would be to log into the ACP and deal with some "ftp-client"-like system.

It can easily be created as a mod/plugin for phpBB or plugin for the Support Toolkit, either way, it would not require any edits to the files, just running an install script to add the module to the ACP or just copying the files to the STK. Then the people who would rather have that feature could easily add it, and for those who do not care, it would not affect the security of the phpBB installation and every other set of installed software on their server.
Well said

Go2GamerGuys

Post by Go2GamerGuys »

EXreaction wrote:Requiring SSL would mean that most boards couldn't use the feature.

I do agree that it would be something nice to have for some board owners, but the security consequences for the server are too great to include this in with the default package of phpBB. For me personally, it's easier to use an FTP client than it would be to log into the ACP and deal with some "ftp-client"-like system.

It can easily be created as a mod/plugin for phpBB or plugin for the Support Toolkit, either way, it would not require any edits to the files, just running an install script to add the module to the ACP or just copying the files to the STK. Then the people who would rather have that feature could easily add it, and for those who do not care, it would not affect the security of the phpBB installation and every other set of installed software on their server.
This is a good explanation.

So I do agree, this will be better fitted as an add-on for STK. I am not sure where I can post STK RFC's though?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Try here:
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/supportteamtools/
Erik and/or Patrick should be able to process the request from there and approve the RFC.

naderman
Consultant

Re: [RFC|Rejected] Built In phpBB3.x FTP Client (phpFTP)

Post by naderman »

Moved to rejcted RFCs. As per bantu this is out of the scope of phpBB.