[GSoC] Search Backend Refactoring

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Danielx64

Re: [GSoC] Search Backend Refactoring

Post by Danielx64 »

Also I should add that many people will have exec( ) disabled for the secturity of their servers as well.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

phpbb should work with a separately launched sphinx (appropriately configured by the system administrator).

Does exec work some of the time or never?

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

We discussed this on IRC a bit and came to the conclusion that there was no need for any of the exec code. A properly configured instance of sphinx wouldn't allow the webserver to control the daemon anyway. And sphinx isn't exactly for shared hosting, so one can assume that it'll be setup by someone who has at least some basic understanding of system administration.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Sphinx has been merged.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Just wondering if this problem does not impact new search backend... (it is about egosearch at phpbb.com)

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Are you able to reproduce any of those issues on develop?

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Will try with this post and edit it after result found...

EDIT: no, it updated instantly.

I just asked, fot us not to be wondered why something like this happens in case...

dhruv.goel92

Post by dhruv.goel92 »

So PostgreSQL fulltext search and sphinx search have already been integrated. Sphinx error reporting has been improved with proper logging and error display in case search fails. I am working on improving postgresql fulltext search as it mis-behaves on -foo treating it like foo. Access specifiers will be added and ACP UI code which is currently passed on as a variable will be moved to a new HTML file like: adm/style/search_fulltext_sphinx.html
Intend to write some tests too. Is there anything else I am missing out on, that can be improved/ introduced in phpBB search backends?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Since [RFC|Accepted] Search Backend Refactoring has been superseded by this one and there aren't any status updates I'd like to remember that a search abstraction would lead to huge improvements of searching:
  1. PMs
  2. topic/forum lists in
    1. subscriptions
    2. bookmarks
    3. MCP
Every of those lists can be huge and therefore justify the need of being searchable.