"Official" integration with Akismet

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
EXreaction

Re: "Official" integration with Akismet

Post by EXreaction »

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello EXreaction,
it's great to see that you are back! :)

Your MOD/code is a very carefully solution. Which means that moderators have to check every post which has been called to be spam by Akismet. (I hope that I'm right.) I understand this point. But I could imagine that moderators won't like this job. Also in my experience it's possible to live without the approval.

I would prefer something like a plug-in system for several HTTP blacklists which supports not only Akismet. Other very (or more) usefull HTTP blacklists are Stop Forum Spam and Botscout. The plug-in system also could support Project Honey Pot.

Also user account registrations should be checked, too.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

EXreaction wrote:I've recently developed a mod: http://lithiumstudios.org/forum/viewtop ... =31&t=1976

Modified into a PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/866
Could you update your email address on github? Getting bounce backs. :)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Done

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Nathan, could you make it into an RFC & ticket first please.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Rather than having hard coded integration with akismet, can we maybe have a generic plugin interface for these kinds of antispam tools? How much work would it be to change the pull request to be a generic antispam plugin feature with akismet as a default plugin shipped with phpBB?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

As long as there are some hooks in the places needed, it would be simple.

A hook would be needed in the following locations:
functions_posting (submit_post, probably two needed, one to check if it's spam, then one to add the data for the new columns to the post query)
mcp_queue (approve_post)
view topic (output a field, either as custom profile as it is now (hackish) or as a new button)

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Well I was actually thinking of making this a regular interface, more like auth backends or search plugins, which would not rely on hooks. But I guess the latter would work as well.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I'm not sure what advantage you'd gain by making a whole interface for it. If there are enough alternatives to Akismet that do roughly the same thing (check posts to see if they are spam, accept spam/ham submission) then that may be a good idea, but I do not know of other alternatives.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I'm pretty sure that some alternatives already exist. Maybe tools like stopforumspam actually start doing that as well. So some generic antispam interface would be rather useful I think. That interface might include optional steps for registration data as well.