MCP - support for additional local permission types

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MartinTruckenbrodt

MCP - support for additional local permission types

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello,
at the moment there is a discussion and project about bridges. But I think phpBB3 should be ready for Add Ons or modules. So the local permissions systems needs to be rewritten.

The problem is at MCP. MCP is not able to work with new local permissions. The MCP module system is forced to use $forum_id cause the related functions in auth.php support only $forum_id.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1741985
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 1&t=821035

I think it's needed to add some kind of modules.
So in phpBB3 the core modules can be:
  • forum - for the forum permissions
  • pm - for private messaging permissions
Other modules can been added by MODs/AddOns/modules:
  • gallery - for photo gallery
  • calendar - for calendar
  • download - for download database
  • newsletter - for newsletters
  • link - for link databse
  • cms - for Content Management System
  • and so on ...

So in auth.php

Code: Select all

function acl_get($opt, $f = 0)
should be

function acl_get($opt, $module = 0, $id = 0)

function acl_getf($opt, $clean = false)
should be

function acl_get_module($module = 0, $opt, $clean = false)

function acl_getf_global($opt)
should be

function acl_get_module _global($module = 0, $opt)

function acl_get_list($user_id = false, $opts = false, $forum_id = false)
should be

function acl_get_list($user_id = false, $module = 0, $opts = false, $id = false)
and so on ...

BTW: Paul also has done some code for a workaround: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... =#p4661135 . But I haven't tested it by now http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p10567935 cause I haven't used it for my Add On (MOD).

Bye Martin
Last edited by MartinTruckenbrodt on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:40 am, edited 14 times in total.
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

EXreaction

Re: Support for additional local permission types

Post by EXreaction »

I do not think much has to be rewritten to support additional local types, and yes, I would like to see them.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello,
I just want to bump this feature a little bit.

I think tihs feature is much more important e.g. as the extensions thing it is. It would a big effort for MOD authors and some MODs/modules/Add-Ons itself.

@dev team: For which phpBB generation to want to implement it? Maybe I would do the code? So please give me a concrete answer.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Martin,

Depending on how our release strategy evolves following the 3.1 release (see this post), I don't think that we will be specifying certain releases for any features; they will be included in whichever version is the next to be released when the feature is finished.

Anyway, before any code is done, there will need to be a much more detailed description of:
1) What the issue is
2) Possible solutions to the issue
3) How you plan to solve the current issue

Currently from reading your first post, I'm not sure I understand exactly why the current permissions system is inadequate or for what purpose it would need a rewrite. RFCs generally are expected to have more than a couple of sentences describing the idea.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Re: MCP - support for additional local permission types

Hello David,
I've updated the first post.

The problem is in MCP. But I think the best and most flexible solution will influence most of the permission system and I think the logs thing, too.

Bye Martin

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I still don't really know what you're talking about :-/

Are you talking about namespacing permissions and making it easier to add new ones?
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello callum,
please read the linked topics.

I have updated the first post a little bit again.

Bye Martin