[RFC] New Custom Profile Field Types

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
Pony99CA

[RFC] New Custom Profile Field Types

Post by Pony99CA »

phpBB should have the following new Custom Profile Field types:
  • Image: Allow displaying an image (with user-specified sizing and ALT text -- possibly with some site-specified maximums). Allowing a larger-sized image (with possible lightbox display) would be even better.
  • URL: Allow displaying a hyperlink (with user-specified URL and text -- if no text is specified, just display the naked URL).

UPDATE: You could also allow an optional icon/image for standard services like Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. If you use one, the text listed above would be treated as ALT text.
  • Formatted Text: A version of Single text field and/or Textarea that supports BBCode. Alternatively, the existing Single text field and Textarea profile fields could allow an option to enable/disable BBCode parsing. Personally, I prefer the latter.
  • IM/Chat services: Similar to URLs but with any changes necessary to support those services.
UPDATE: Added IM clients and allowed an image/icon for URLs.

I hope that I don't need to spell out why such items would be useful. :D

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64

Re: [RFC] New Custom Profile Field Types

Post by Danielx64 »

While that should like a good idea, one thing that I'm worried about is people spoofing other people's ranks images. For example I could put the admin rank image in and try and make myself look like a admin when I'm not.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

I presume that the Field name/title presented to the user value would be displayed under the image. That would make it clear that it wasn't a Rank.

You could also turn off the Display on viewtopic screen setting for the image so that the image was only displayed in the user's profile (and possibly the Member List).

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Points taken, +1 from me :)

Jessica.

Post by Jessica. »

These would definitely be nice!

+1

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

+1

Who's going to work on a patch?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Based on the Modern profile fields in 3.1 RFC, I have updated the URL type in the first post to allow specifying an icon or image (for things like Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest) and added an IM/Chat client type in case URL was not sufficient for that.

Steve

Frug

Post by Frug »

Sweet. +1. Thank you for addressing this :)

Darkness_demoN

Post by Darkness_demoN »

Pony99CA wrote:phpBB should have the following new Custom Profile Field types:
  • Image: Allow displaying an image (with user-specified sizing and ALT text -- possibly with some site-specified maximums). Allowing a larger-sized image (with possible lightbox display) would be even better.
  • URL: Allow displaying a hyperlink (with user-specified URL and text -- if no text is specified, just display the naked URL).

UPDATE: You could also allow an optional icon/image for standard services like Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. If you use one, the text listed above would be treated as ALT text.
  • Formatted Text: A version of Single text field and/or Textarea that supports BBCode. Alternatively, the existing Single text field and Textarea profile fields could allow an option to enable/disable BBCode parsing. Personally, I prefer the latter.
  • IM/Chat services: Similar to URLs but with any changes necessary to support those services.
UPDATE: Added IM clients and allowed an image/icon for URLs.

I hope that I don't need to spell out why such items would be useful. :D

Steve
Yea the idea is good :)