Add install url for the notice/error message.

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Dragosvr92

Add install url for the notice/error message.

Post by Dragosvr92 »

When you create a install directory into your root forum, it disables the forum, and displays that notice message that tells you you have to remove the directory, to be able to browse the forums.

To browse to the install directory, you have to manually write the path, in the address bar. Thats a bit annoying for lazy users, like me.

It would be awesome if you could add a link on the install word that comes in the message. install

.. Another idea would be to parse anything that is put in the url tag, even if it doesnt have http:// at the start.
Previous user: TheKiller

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Re: Add install url for the notice/error message.

Post by bantu »

To browse to the install directory, you have to manually write the path, in the address bar.
I do not get the point of this. Linking to the HTTP version of the install directory for deletion is pointless as the directory has to be deleted from the filesystem which is usually accessed for writing via local, SMB, SFTP, SSH etc., but not HTTP.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Not when you upload the install directory, intentionally, on the server, to update your forums.
The message doesn't appear just after you installed phpbb.

The current message is:
"Please delete, move or rename the install directory before you use your board. If this directory is still present, only the Administration Control Panel (ACP) will be accessible."
I say to add a link, like i did above, or expand the message, and mention the conversion also....

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

TheKiller wrote:Not when you upload the install directory, intentionally, on the server, to update your forums.
The message doesn't appear just after you installed phpbb.

The current message is:
"Please delete, move or rename the install directory before you use your board. If this directory is still present, only the Administration Control Panel (ACP) will be accessible."
I say to add a link, like i did above, or expand the message, and mention the conversion also....
I guess something like that makes sense.

Prosk8er

Post by Prosk8er »

i like that ideal of having the install word being a link :)

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I guess that visitors and normal members see the same message that i posted.
Why would they want to read that only the ACP Will be accessible? I am not sure in what you should change this in, but i think you should debate this issue, and consider, what message should there be to match everyone.. visitor/user/mod/admin/founder.... The link should be there for the forum owner to click it and update his software.