Load default language before other languages?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
naderman
Consultant

Re: Load default language before other languages?

Post by naderman »

Having worked with the language loading code a bit. I think it might need a complete refactoring and removal from user class anyway.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello Nils,
at the moment I'm thinking about doing an Advanced Multi Language Support MOD for Olympus to to add all of the told missing core features. Maybe I will do it in June or July.

I think I will add a function which looks for existing language files. If at least one file is missing then the complete default board language pack will be used then merged/overwritten with the exisiting user language pack things.

I hope that you understand my English. If not then please let me know for a german language PM. ;)

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Do we have benchmarks on page loading speed with and without this change? If it is not a significant difference (will need testing on a largish board), then I'm okay with doing this.

Perhaps consider caching it, so that it only has to include both files once and then always has a value stored in cache afterwards, so it only has to load the cache any subsequent times (until cache is cleared, of course).
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello imkingdavid,
I don't how the cache works. But I think the cache is not related to the user. Yes? So I think there should be not a big difference.

BTW. The cache here on Area51 at the moment is not running well. At least for me.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello imkingdavid,
I don't how the cache works. But I think the cache is not related to the user. Yes? So I think there should be not a big difference.
Yes, but language entries aren't user-specific either. Simply cache language entries as they are used. If a certain language is requested, first check the cache and see if it has been cached yet, otherwise look for the file and cache that.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello Nils,
at the moment I'm thinking about doing an Advanced Multi Language Support MOD for Olympus to to add all of the told missing core features. Maybe I will do it in June or July.
MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:I think I will add a function which looks for existing language files. If at least one file is missing then the complete default board language pack will be used then merged/overwritten with the exisiting user language pack things.
Please work on a propert patch which is going to be useful for all phpBB users, rather than a MOD. With phpBB 3.1 we won't be advertising MODs at all anymore anyway.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

When i have installed my forum, i started installing language packs for each user that was speaking different languages (German, Greek, Korean etc) But as there were errors because the language packs werent having the translation for mods, i have removed them all and let just British English, as it would have been easier to install mods in just one language. It would be really amazing to have the language packs of other countries to just translate the main forum files, and load the extra language edits that are made by an x mod.
Previous user: TheKiller

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello Nils,
I'm a MOD author and no co-developer. I don't advertise MODs. I advertise missing core features.
Perhaps MODs should been written like patches in future?

Bye Martin

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Contributions to the core aren't accepted as patches, so that wouldn't really achieve anything.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

imkingdavid wrote:Perhaps consider caching it, so that it only has to include both files once and then always has a value stored in cache afterwards, so it only has to load the cache any subsequent times (until cache is cleared, of course).
This ^