Ignore posts of all users on foe list

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Oleg

Ignore posts of all users on foe list

Post by Oleg »

Currently if I place a founder/admin/moderator (?) on the foe list I still see their posts. This defeats the purpose of me placing said user on the foe list.

Note that it is possible to view posts of foed users by clicking the respective link replacing the post.

If we prohibit sending private messages to users who foe the sender that restriction should be disregarded for founders/admins/moderators.

naderman
Consultant

Re: Ignore posts of all users on foe list

Post by naderman »

I believe it is very important, that users see all messages written by moderator or admins of a board. So it makes sense, that they are not able to hide them.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

naderman wrote:I believe it is very important, that users see all messages written by moderator or admins of a board. So it makes sense, that they are not able to hide them.
+1
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

bonelifer
Community Team
Community Team

Post by bonelifer »

From IRC:

Code: Select all

<bonelifer> I don't think users should be able to FOE founders/admin/mods, else they can say I didn't see that change in rules you posted.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

naderman wrote:I believe it is very important, that users see all messages written by moderator or admins of a board. So it makes sense, that they are not able to hide them.
+1
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

I'm not sure I agree. Unknown Bliss, for example, is quite annoying and I'm bummed out that I can't have him on my foes list!

:mrgreen:

In all seriousness it might not make a whole lot of sense for some but moderators are all supposed to be on the same team so really shouldn't be able to ignore them for the same reasons the others posted. On the flip side if a user could ignore an admin/moderator they can then turn it around and say "oh I didn't know the rules were blah blah blah" even after the moderator/admin posted about the rules in the same topic as the user.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Whether being able to also ignore administrators and moderators makes sense largely depends on things like the type of board and board size in my opinion. It can for example make sense on a very large board with many small-section-moderators. So, I do think this should be possible in general, albeit it might make sense to have this as a board setting or permission. There certainly is no ultimate yes/no answer to that question.
bonelifer wrote:From IRC:

Code: Select all

<bonelifer> I don't think users should be able to FOE founders/admin/mods, else they can say I didn't see that change in rules you posted.
I would say they can still say that. To me it does not make a big difference whether the board helps them to ignore a moderator or their mind just ignores all moderator posts.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I just tried to add Nils to my foes list and was informed that was not possible. So I'm not sure how Oleg arrived at the conclusions in the OP.

The Friends and Foes feature seems is one of those things that could do with a more prominent interface and/or better explanation. For example, I wonder how many users are aware that foes are really "ignored users"
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

You would need to foe the user in question before they are put in one of the protected groups.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Oleg wrote:You would need to foe the user in question before they are put in one of the protected groups.
A user being granted moderator permissions is supposed to be removed from all foe lists at that time. Is that not happening?
A_Jelly_Doughnut