[RFC] Show number by each post

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
jsebean

[RFC] Show number by each post

Post by jsebean »

I find it very convenient in other bullitin board softwares the fact that each post in a topic shows the post number of itself. This is nice when you're referring to a post and say "in post number "whatever" so and so said... great for making references to a post, it also lets you know where in the topic you are. Would be nice if phpBB had this included :D.
-Jonah

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: [RFC] Show number by each post

Post by Senky »

So this number will show post_id, or order in topic? Anyway, I do not see much point in it. If I reffer to post, I simply copy link and paste it in post. Much easier for me, as well as reader of the post - it is easier to click on the link than remember post_id and look for it.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I agree with senky.
What's the real use of that?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Is this post # or post ID? I.e. each post has its own ID in the database, unique to that post. or are you wanting to start at 1 and count up for each thread?

Personally, I don't think this is really that important to include. Sure there are some use cases (a gaming forum I was on had this as a MOD because it was often used) but IMO it would be best as a MOD.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

vBulletin does it with post numbers. I can't really see any advantages of it. Screenie: http://cl.ly/431D1N3S2G2F2W1M3f1k
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Not post ID, start at 1 and increment up per post. Many board software has it, is pretty useful to refer to a post. You can post a link to an exact post, but sometimes, ie. You're in a large topic and can't find the exact post but know roughly where it is, you can reference "it's around post 60" that people can go back to. It also allows you to see where in a topic you are, mainly for large topics, small ones it's pretty useless.
-Jonah

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Hmmm... well I guess if a bunch of people want it, it doesn't hurt anything to add it. But I'm not entirely sold that we need it. *shrug*
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

It's not a big feature and it doesn't really matter either way, and someone mentioned it may be better off as a mod which I would be fine with, I doubt I'd install it to be honest, however, if it were in phpBB wouldn't hurt either and it does allow you to reference to posts, and it wouldn't be hard to setup. So guess it's up to the devs if they wanted to do it or not :P
-Jonah

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

This is a way to refer to a post with less typing. You just say "in post #5" instead of going to said post and copying and pasting a link to it.

This may or may not work well across pages.

Trac is another software that numbers comments. In trac however all comments are displayed on the same page, therefore referring to any comment from any comment by its number is perhaps more usable than it would be in phpbb.

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Someone mentioned vB did this, I also noticed MyBB and IPB also do this (numbering each post). So if phpBB did it, it wouldn't be anything new.
-Jonah