[RFC|Merged] Last topic title in forum list

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
jsebean

Re: [RFC] Recent topic title in forum list

Post by jsebean »

Why make life harder than it needs to be, why not just use what's currently already in phpBB, show the latest post, and require all post to contain a subject. If nobody posted that RFC I will in a minute, because, whether we go with this solution or not, I think it would still be a good idea to require posts to contain a subject.
-Jonah

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Empty post subjects are rather uncommon, and I think having Re: in there just makes it clearer that it's a reply to something and not a new topic. So all in all, I think it makes more sense to use the last post subject, and it also simplifies things since we already store it anyway. So I think rather than spending time figuring out some new way to get access to the topic title, we should just stick to last post subject.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

naderman wrote:Empty post subjects are rather uncommon, and I think having Re: in there just makes it clearer that it's a reply to something and not a new topic. So all in all, I think it makes more sense to use the last post subject, and it also simplifies things since we already store it anyway. So I think rather than spending time figuring out some new way to get access to the topic title, we should just stick to last post subject.
Any input on what to do with an empty subject line? There is another RFC for either requiring a minimum length of a subject (as we already do for topic titles, so why not subjects?) or even just doing away with post subjects altogether (or to some extent, see posts in that RFC), which would take care of the problem in one way or another.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

Getting rid of replies titles make sense. However in my particular case I use them on my frontpage for news updates on a news thread already posted. This is probably pretty uncommon I guess but I would like to hear an alternative.

I'm not sure if the topic tags is being considered but that sounds like a good option for me.
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

imkingdavid wrote:
naderman wrote:Empty post subjects are rather uncommon, and I think having Re: in there just makes it clearer that it's a reply to something and not a new topic. So all in all, I think it makes more sense to use the last post subject, and it also simplifies things since we already store it anyway. So I think rather than spending time figuring out some new way to get access to the topic title, we should just stick to last post subject.
Any input on what to do with an empty subject line? There is another RFC for either requiring a minimum length of a subject (as we already do for topic titles, so why not subjects?) or even just doing away with post subjects altogether (or to some extent, see posts in that RFC), which would take care of the problem in one way or another.
ecwpa wrote:Getting rid of replies titles make sense.
RFC is here
ecwpa wrote:However in my particular case I use them on my frontpage for news updates on a news thread already posted. This is probably pretty uncommon I guess but I would like to hear an alternative.
You could post that in the corresponding RFC then I could comment ;) :P
ecwpa wrote:I'm not sure if the topic tags is being considered but that sounds like a good option for me.
Post a new RFC?
-Jonah

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I think I have warmed up to the idea of displaying the last post's title and if it is empty, displaying nothing (there should still be a link to jump to the last post and last poster's name, as we presently have).

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Oleg wrote:I think I have warmed up to the idea of displaying the last post's title and if it is empty, displaying nothing (there should still be a link to jump to the last post and last poster's name, as we presently have).
Why not go with A_Jelly_Doughnut's suggestion posted here and then this wouldn't be a problem. It would also make things look a little bit better, because having a post with no subject just looks weird compared to the rest (like I made this post.)
-Jonah

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

jsebean: we dont have the topic title there. That would cause an additional SQL-query or make the existing on heavier, and I think it's not worth it.

Before doing that, I'd just use "Re:" as replacement.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

Ahh I see sounds good.
-Jonah

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Indeed, I think we should simply display the last post subject. We can still decide to enforce non-empty post subjects in another RFC.