Visitor Messaging

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Kyle$calise

Visitor Messaging

Post by Kyle$calise »

Howdy Doodle!

I am a moderator on a forum made with vBulliten (for a gaming company), and an admin for my own personal forum with phpBB. I've been on the vBulliten one longer, so I try to make phpBB act as much like it as possible, and one huge difference between the two is visitor messaging.

So, why not add it to the suggestions?! :mrgreen:

Basically, there's a section on every user's profile where users can post a public message for the user, with all the messages (which run onto different pages) underneath. Only the user himself, and mods/admins(depending on permissions set) can edit and delete the vm's.

This is useful for when someone has something to say to an individual user, but doesn't want to bother them with a popup notification, and take up their storage space. Example: A user to an admin: "Can I get my name changed to ...?" No need to waste a PM on that. Then to respond, the recipient posts a VM on the sender's profile.

Additionally, on the vB forums, there is a "View Conversation" link under each message, which would show every VM between the two users. Also, there is a little link somewhere at the top that goes from "Visitor Messages" to "Visitor Messages (1)" but no popup message.

Just my little suggestion.
Keep up the great work! :D

BullsNet

Re: Visitor Messaging

Post by BullsNet »

I agree! You should voice your feedback here as well: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=42477&start=10

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I say no.
That thing is good as an extension to who wants it. For the rest, of the people, it's just another thing slowing the forum down.

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

brunoais wrote:I say no.
That thing is good as an extension to who wants it. For the rest, of the people, it's just another thing slowing the forum down.
I think it should, just make it so it doesn't slow down the site, and phpBB will have features that other big board software has.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Oh? I frequent some big vBulletin boards and I've never actually seen this (thankfully). What "big" board software has this out of the box?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

DavidIQ wrote:Oh? I frequent some big vBulletin boards and I've never actually seen this (thankfully). What "big" board software has this out of the box?
vB does, I imagine that IPB does, but yeah, it's pointless in the core.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

DavidIQ wrote:Oh? I frequent some big vBulletin boards and I've never actually seen this (thankfully). What "big" board software has this out of the box?
XF does, but its more complex than this.

Users can leave messages on other user's profile and follow user. That user can moderate those message, change his status. It also has function to like posts, similar to "thanks for posts" mod but much more elegant.

All those features combined add social network like things to forum.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

Arty wrote: All those features combined add social network like things to forum.
We could do a phpbb social network edition [/kidding] :D
Well, from these jokes something good may arise.... Like an extension called: social networking extension pack (or something).
1 Extension to add all those options is actually less heavy to the forum (if well made) than many extensions to do the same thing.

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

xF
iPB
vB

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

BullsNet wrote:
xF
iPB
vB
Any bulletin board software that is not paid?

Anyway phpBB will not implement such feature whose only purpose is to add social network to the forum and that's not the purpose of phpBB. The dev team may change its mind in some years, but for phpBB 3.* there will be no such feature no matter what you (phpBB users) may say (from what I recall from discussions)