[RFC|Merged] Preview from Quick Reply

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
imkingdavid

[RFC|Merged] Preview from Quick Reply

Post by imkingdavid »

In my opinion, the Full Editor button on the default quick reply should be replaced with a Preview button. I don't see the reason someone would want to go to the full editor and not preview what they have written (honestly, that's usually the only reason I would switch between the two, since I memorized the bbcodes and smilies). Right now if I want to preview what I have in QR, I have to click Full Editor and then Preview. IMO, it would be best if we remove the Full Editor button and simply turn it into a Preview button.

The fix is quite simple and I put up the steps here. Note that I tested those steps a year and a half ago and haven't looked at them since then so it might need some changes. Also at the time I don't think I checked if there were any references to full editor (i.e. the language variable) that would need to be removed from the PHP side, beyond what I already did. EDIT: it will also need to be applied to subSilver2, which I left out of that post.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Ticket | Patch
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

brunoais

Re: [RFC] Preview from Quick Reply

Post by brunoais »

+2.
That's also what most out there forums do. So... I agree that that should be the way to go.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes please. It's pretty annoying IMO.

Next is an actual "quick" quick reply that won't require clicking on a button to use, just like subsilver2.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

+1

I'll take a look at this at some point unless you want to do it David?
DavidIQ wrote:Next is an actual "quick" quick reply that won't require clicking on a button to use, just like subsilver2.
Would need a new RFC unless this RFC is turned into 'Quick Reply Usability Improvements'?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Unknown Bliss wrote:+1

I'll take a look at this at some point unless you want to do it David?
Well the changes are pretty much in the topic I linked (though it might be slightly different since I didn't actually fully test that, and it was code I wrote a year and a half ago, so I can't attest to its quality. Anyone's welcome to do it. Otherwise, I'll do it when I get around to it. Whoever does it, please create a ticket and post it here, as well as saying that you are working on it so no one else does.
DavidIQ wrote:Next is an actual "quick" quick reply that won't require clicking on a button to use, just like subsilver2.
RFC? :) I support it, but it's beyond this RFC's scope.

shibulijack

Post by shibulijack »

imkingdavid wrote:In my opinion, the Full Editor button on the default quick reply should be replaced with a Preview button. I don't see the reason someone would want to go to the full editor and not preview what they have written (honestly, that's usually the only reason I would switch between the two, since I memorized the bbcodes and smilies). Right now if I want to preview what I have in QR, I have to click Full Editor and then Preview. IMO, it would be best if we remove the Full Editor button and simply turn it into a Preview button.

The fix is quite simple and I put up the steps here. Note that I tested those steps a year and a half ago and haven't looked at them since then so it might need some changes. Also at the time I don't think I checked if there were any references to full editor (i.e. the language variable) that would need to be removed from the PHP side, beyond what I already did. EDIT: it will also need to be applied to subSilver2, which I left out of that post.

Thoughts?
+1 :)

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

shibulijack wrote:
imkingdavid wrote:In my opinion, the Full Editor button on the default quick reply should be replaced with a Preview button. I don't see the reason someone would want to go to the full editor and not preview what they have written (honestly, that's usually the only reason I would switch between the two, since I memorized the bbcodes and smilies). Right now if I want to preview what I have in QR, I have to click Full Editor and then Preview. IMO, it would be best if we remove the Full Editor button and simply turn it into a Preview button.

Thoughts?
+1 :)
I don't think you should get rid of Full editor button so -1. I have, in the past wrote a reply in the quick reply and then decided I wanted to add things like smilies that I don't have memorized or BBCode memorized, so unless you would be including the full editor in the quick reply, -1 for removing the full editor button.

However a preview button would be nice.
-Jonah

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

jsebean wrote:I don't think you should get rid of Full editor button so -1. I have, in the past wrote a reply in the quick reply and then decided I wanted to add things like smilies that I don't have memorized or BBCode memorized, so unless you would be including the full editor in the quick reply, -1 for removing the full editor button.

Preview displays the full editor. It is exactly as if you press preview within the full editor.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Until I can get logged into the tracker, I cannot create a ticket. However, I have applied and tested the changes to make this work. You can see them here: https://github.com/imkingdavid/phpbb3/c ... /qrpreview

EDIT:
Ticket
Patch

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

imkingdavid wrote:
jsebean wrote:I don't think you should get rid of Full editor button so -1. I have, in the past wrote a reply in the quick reply and then decided I wanted to add things like smilies that I don't have memorized or BBCode memorized, so unless you would be including the full editor in the quick reply, -1 for removing the full editor button.

Preview displays the full editor. It is exactly as if you press preview within the full editor.
That is right isn't it lol my bad, +1 then.
-Jonah