MCP Search topic

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
HGN

MCP Search topic

Post by HGN »

Triggered by a topic on phpbb.com's Mod Request forum (Subject: Need mod that can search topics/posts in Mod panel..), I think it would be usefull to have a search function within the MCP to be able to search for a topic (alike the ability in several locations to Find a member).

My post in that mod request topic:
HGN wrote:Being in the MCP you want to move posts from one topic to another. Then you have to browse through lists of topics within forums to locate the topic you want to move the posts to.
It's a bit "cheap" to open a second window/tab and use the general search function to locate the intended destination topic and then copy the id from the URL to the first window/tab with MCP.
It would be nice to be able to search for a topic (on topic title, any posted words in the topic, topic starter) to quickly find the topic.

Dragosvr92

Re: MCP Search topic

Post by Dragosvr92 »

How would you know the name of the topic to look for?
If you want to do something to a topic, like moving posts, delete it, etc. You should already be viewing it, otherwise, why would you bother to search for some title to find it and do stuff to it. If you want to look for a topic you can just search it witht he normal search function. I dont really see the point. :-\
Previous user: TheKiller

HGN

Post by HGN »

Destination topic ;) You are in the source topic, not in the destination topic.

You are in the source topic, you select some posts and want to move those posts to a certain topic in a certain forum. In case that topic hasn't had posts for sometime, it has dropped to page x of the topiclist for that forum (if you remember which forum it was). Than you have to walk through all these pages to find the topic you want to move the posts to.
Easier would be to have a search topic button that opens a pop-up alike the Find member function in ACP and when sending a PM. Search for a topic on (1) search string in title (2) searchstring in first post (3) search string in any post (4) topic starters username. From the list returned by the search, select the one topic you want to move the posts to, thus copying the topic id to the MCP page.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

But it would be hard to even remember the title of it. If your board is very active it would be almost impossible to remember a title, unless he has an amazing memory. You cant remember the exact name, and who knows how accurate is the phpbb search. I cant even remember the exact titles of the posts i create.

When finding a user its different as you have to know what you are looking for and know its exact name. If you dont, then you look at the letters (A,B,C) and see what his user is.

HGN

Post by HGN »

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Actually you are saying that the search function on the board, included in phpBB, is worthless.
Just keep in mind that boards exist having real conversations on specific topics.

If you don't know the topics on your board and don't know how to search them, you will probably never want to move posts to another topic where they fit better.

I have quite a decent memory and I know on my board fairly well a topic exists where posts might fit better. Just because the topics have my interest. Now I need to search the board, memorise the topic id, go back to the topic and enter the MCP to fill in the destination topics ID. A much easier way would be to be able to search the topic from a pop-up within the MCP.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I didnt want to go there, but yes. The existing search engine of phpbb doesnt work too great.
Maybe that would be a reason phpbb.com added a google search engine on the site.

I think i get your idea now, so if a moderator sees a reply that should go to an older topic, he sends it there.. But why cant he just use the existing search option ?

What you are saying is also nonsense.
All you have to do is search for the topic title on the forums. View the topic. Start using the Quick-mod tools, and do whatever you want to it !
Move it to a other forum... merge it or its post(s) delete it, and soo on........ There is no need to enter the MCP to do that.
I Rarely have the need to use the MCP cause of the quick mod tools :)

You seem to be doing things the hard way :P :roll:

HGN

Post by HGN »

And where do the quick mod tools bring you?
Correct, to the MCP.
TheKiller wrote:What you are saying is also nonsense.
All you have to do is search for the topic title on the forums.
Please read my posts more carefull!

Two topics are involved (source and destination). With the source topic you enter the MCP using the quick mod tools (move posts). Than you either have to know the destination id allready, go through the forums and topic lists to search for the topic yourselve or open a seperate window/tab to use the advanced search on the board to find the topic id.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

For me such actions almost always are a consequence of a report - and in that report there is already a URL to the topic(s) (which in that case would be the destination, whereas the reported post already has the source topic). While there are phpBB users out there who're not that bright to recognize a topic ID from a URL (not to speak of reading the URL of a link) the board search could indeed act like the memberlist search: search results are displayed as topics and for all GUI lovers a radiobutton can be clicked to make a selection, without any need to actually know the topic ID.

Did it in the topic of the linked post.