Curiosity!

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Exodyus

Curiosity!

Post by Exodyus »

There's a lot going on here, and I haven't really had the proper time to read up on all of it and so I'm sorry if I ask questions that have already been answered, but I have some general curiosities as a lover of phpBB3 and long past BB2.

The biggest issue that I seem to have with the forum is styling. Lord knows that I love Arty. He's the sh!t and I've told him more than once before, lol -- but it's not so much the styling that is the issue, but how the bones of the system should be skinned, and not the styles that should be modded. I find this difficult to run a forum when some people enjoy one style while others another -- and as an admin, I'm sure we've all had that issue before.

Is the new system going to "mod the bones" of php, while the skin is an over-lay to whatever comes? Or are we stuck doing the same thing, over and over again?
It took me nearly a week to mod Arty's Artodia Elegance theme -- everyone loves it, but some prefer other pieces for their phones, and I don't have the time or patience to remod that skin as well, lol. Call me lazy, but I can't justify it.

Frankly, if Arty could remaster the prosilver with all the trimmings, but keep the elegance of Artodia, I'd be all <3 :D .

Also, the little boy in me wants to know when Christmas is coming -- when BB4 is looking to peek it's head out.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: Curiosity!

Post by MichaelC »

Installing modifications will become easier in 3.1 with hooks and extensions and phpBB 4's architecture will be made to make installing modifications completely seamless.

phpBB 4 is a complete rewrite and as such it will need a new style made from scratch.

phpBB 4 won't be out for a while yet and I wouldn't get your hopes up seeing it before 2015.

However there are quite a few RFCs for 3.2 at the moment with changing the styles system including sprites, removing style components etc. and image sets are being removed in phpBB 3.1 I believe.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Exodyus

Post by Exodyus »

That sounds awesome and hopefully it comes out before the world ends! :) Lolol.

Will it have better updates than the current BB3? More seamless transitions?
I'm worried because I'm currently running 3.0.9 and I'm one upgrade behind, but I spent so long modding Arty: Elegance that I'm petrified of it killing everything I did and that would cause me to just spend the money to buy into vBulletin 4, but I love BB3 so much and have worked with it for so long.

Also -- speaking of competition, will BB4 be looking to run SEO?
Because the SEO mod for BB3 is an absolute nightmare and destroys currently running forums.
I run a test-forum and mod that before modding my actual /home/ and I had to just delete the entire BB3 folder and restart a new one... :evil:

/a3

Post by /a3 »

Exodyus wrote:Also -- speaking of competition, will BB4 be looking to run SEO?
What improvements are you looking for? :?
$ git commit -m "YOLO"