[RFC] Visitor Messages

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
BullsNet

[RFC] Visitor Messages

Post by BullsNet »

Similar to vBulletin, IPB, SMF, and myBB which already have this feature implemented which clearly phpBB is lacking in. I think this would be great for phpBB to become a more social forum and an obvious feature such as visitor messages would probably sway more users to phpBB.

brunoais

Re: [RFC] Visitor Messages

Post by brunoais »

What is visitor messages?
Why is it beneficial?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

brunoais wrote:What is visitor messages?
Why is it beneficial?
Comments on the profile. Can be viewed as "discussions" between two users or view all at once (most recent at the top).

I actually don't see the difference between this and private messages, except that these would be publicly viewable.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

imkingdavid wrote:
Why is it beneficial?
Comments on the profile. Can be viewed as "discussions" between two users or view all at once (most recent at the top).

I actually don't see the difference between this and private messages, except that these would be publicly viewable.
An other difference would be that many persons can talk to that person in public. Its not really a great improvement, personally i found it useless. I once or twice posted something private that should have been private. Nothing important but something i wanted to use in a PM, as i was used with phpbb. Implementing this will change completly the profile view.
Previous user: TheKiller

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I think that this should remain as a modification.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

imkingdavid wrote:
Why is it beneficial?

This would make phpBB more social and modern with the competitor features.

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

More social? You have a platform where people can interact by posting messages and interact in discussions. How more "social" can you get. I personally have no need for the so called "modern" facebook-like social, which usually just ends in an endless list of mind numbing crap. So a definite -1 from me. If at all it should be a modification/plug-in for phpbb.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

DarkBeing wrote:So a definite -1 from me. If at all it should be a modification/plug-in for phpbb.
I agree with this as well. If someone wants a "social" phpBB then an extension cold be installed for it.

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Same -1 here.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

-1 for me.
Do a mod that does exactly that. I don't believe this deserves to be in the core but it really deserves to be a mod.
Pick up the idea. See the code changes, made a mod ;)