[RFC] New plugin installation system

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC] NEW PLUGIN INSTALLATION SYSTEM

Post by MichaelC »

BullsNet wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:
BullsNet wrote:C) Done, if no MINOR(takes 1 minute even for a beginner) edits.
Well we're trying to eliminate the need to do such things alltogether :P (even though, realistically, someone will probably need to edit the core files at some point)
Well, yes for the major plugins of course, but I am saying for 98% of the plugins you should not be editing files and just uploading the plugin to the forum and the forum takes care of the rest and all you have to do is press a button to install and activate and in adminCP and in adminCP you can change the settings around of it.
Its not necessarily how major it is. For example, my blog MOD adds a full blog to your website. 2 edits to the template which will be eliminated in 3.1, the rest is all in separate files and using the hooks system already in olympus.

Its the same with a number of MODs, its whether they add functionality or whether they change it that matters. ;) And this can all be done with hooks, the only problems come when there isn't a hook in the right place and then all you need to do is post an RFC for that hook and it (will most likely) be added in the next release. Occasionally you will need to make edits but very very rarely.

But this is all already planned (and extensions have already been implemented) for 3.1 so I don't really see the point of this RFC?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

BullsNet wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:You keep saying that but what's so special about their system that you keep advertising it? vB is not free so I can't just go download it and see. From the looks of it, MyBB is doing a similar thing to what we are planning for 3.1 and 3.2 where the user would upload a sort of plugin that uses hooks in their system. As noted on their site, they still have modifications that would be a manual process and require file edits so I'm not sure how that's better than using an auto-installation system + a plugin system.
Yes, you can. You can request a demo at their website and because of phpBB's lack of urgency to fix internal problems, many are switching over to paid software or myBB. Instead of these mod system, it should be a plugin system where:

1 - user downloads it from mod site
2 - uploads files to specific folders
3 - uploads the specific .xml file in admincp
4 - done and active plugin
...and that is different than anything that has been said or planned for the plugins how?

jsebean

Post by jsebean »

BullsNet phpBB's Automod is not spotless but unless you're installing a million mods it works pretty good.

Also, the hooks in phpBB 3.1 coming is the same exact idea as you see in myBB, IPB, etc etc, so don't worry, it's coming, no (or very little) hard file edits, just like MyBB, etc. :D.
-Jonah

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

jsbean wrote:BullsNet phpBB's Automod is not spotless but unless you're installing a million mods it works pretty good.

Also, the hooks in phpBB 3.1 coming is the same exact idea as you see in myBB, IPB, etc etc, so don't worry, it's coming, no (or very little) hard file edits, just like MyBB, etc. :D.
There is going to be a hook system in phpBB 3.1? Since when? And when is 3.1 going to be released?

DavidIQ

Re: [RFC] New plugin installation system

Post by DavidIQ »

BullsNet

Post by BullsNet »

DavidIQ wrote:You haven't looked at 3.1 at all have you...
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=32805
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=41499
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=36858
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=33453
viewtopic.php?f=84&t=32757

And an entire hooks location forum:
viewforum.php?f=111
I have looked at some of it, but not of all of it. I have just one question, will it be like the format I posted about earlier in this thread?

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Yes...except for the editing files part, which will not be the norm/acceptable. Please read through those topics to catch up.

Louis7777

Post by Louis7777 »

(I was browsing through old RFCs...)

Shall this be moved to "merged" now? ^_^

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Moved