HTML5/CSS3 Technologies

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

HTML5/CSS3 Technologies

Post by MichaelC »

By the time 3.2 is released the web should be on HTML5 Compatible Browsers and hopefully the W3Consortium will have have a finished specification for HTML5 and added it to its validators properly. Most modern browsers support most of HTML 5's new features but not all.

FYI: http://fmbip.com/ tells you about your current browser compatibility.

Uses for HTML5:
  • Drag and Drop File API for uploading attatchments, avatars etc. - Drag and drop files from your desktop to upload
  • Local Client-side Storage - Saves text box content locally so if your browser crashes, your post/topic is saved (I have done this too many times)
  • Application Cache - Probably best left for 4.0 but allows you to cache a webpage (a topic) locally so you can refresh and view it offline.
  • Desktop Notifications - Shows popup on desktop (for PM's instead of popup windows and maybe more uses).
  • Desktop Drag Out - Drag Files (Attatchments) from in your browser onto your desktop.
  • Speech Input - Allows user to talk to insert text into the text field.
  • Upload progress bars - Shows how much has uploaded and how far to go.
  • Update Input Types - To make use of the new HTML5 Input Types
  • I doubt there will be a prosilver tags overhaul and we need some backwards compatibility so I won't even go any further with that.
  • Form Field Types - For more mobile compatibility, it tells the mobile device what keyboard to use. Number, Email or general text are the main ones phpBB will use. This will be more prominent in the ACP.
  • Playing attachments directly in browser if a video or mp3.
  • Colour Wheel - I don't know very much about this but I hear you could use inline colour wheel, perhaps on a jQuery Popup?
  • Text Warping/Overflow - Size of text fields
  • Gradient Usage - Instead of images, gradients could be used.
  • Rounded Corners - I believe these have already been mentioned
Thats just a small selection of some times it could be used to make the UI more slick. This is most certainly a 3.2 change and not 3.1 due to the compatibility with browsers.

I have listed many uses, if all were used then some things would be missing and it would have been overused at the same time.

Here is the place to discuss which HTML5 could be used as well as if it will be used.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Re: [RFC] HTML5/CSS3 Technologies

Post by Vinny »

+1
One more thing: add audio and/or video BBcodes.
Rounded Corners - I believe these have already been mentioned
Yes.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

+1 on everything

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

+1, except for gradients - they're too resource intensive.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

+ 1

callumacrae wrote:+1, except for gradients - they're too resource intensive.
-1 to u for not understanding that this is intended once it is legit and resource intensive gradients rely on processor not bandwidth so do not see the issue here
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
  • Form Field Types - For more mobile compatibility, it tells the mobile device what keyboard to use. Number, Email or general text are the main ones phpBB will use. This will be more prominent in the ACP.
+1 to be implemented now.

There are a number of new features for form fields that can be useful. Examples:
-> Placeholder for search box (placeholder).

-> Types for: email, url, others - It can be very useful in user registration and profile fields.

-> autofocus for the first field on the form.

-> required - for required fields without having to load the page to know that the field is required, it may be useful in the registration, posting, login, etc...

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

+1

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Vinny wrote:-> autofocus for the first field on the form.
-1, so hard. It's bad for screenreaders, and when I'm backspacing through previous pages (which I do do quite often), I don't want to have to stop to defocus some form element.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

all of them +1
its not late for adding this RFC for 3.1

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Moving this to discussion. Please create individual RFCs for items that need discussion and just create a ticket & send pull requests for no brainers.