[RFC|Merged] Rounded corners via css

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
wGEric

Re: [RFC] Rounded corners via css

Post by wGEric »

Make sure you look at the known issues for pie. There is one about serving the correct content type that will affect how it needs to be implemented. To make sure it actually works on every server you will probably have to use the php method.
Eric

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

TheKiller wrote:But maybe you should do the fallowing:
If Google Chrome Frame is not installed, you can direct your users to an installation page.
That is a bad idea. Forum should work for users, not force them to install some addons. Such approach will only annoy users, causing them to switch to other forum solutions.
wGEric wrote:Make sure you look at the known issues for pie. There is one about serving the correct content type that will affect how it needs to be implemented. To make sure it actually works on every server you will probably have to use the php method.
That's bad :(
Thanks for finding it.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Arty wrote:
If Google Chrome Frame is not installed, you can direct your users to an installation page.
That is a bad idea. Forum should work for users, not force them to install some addons. Such approach will only annoy users, causing them to switch to other forum solutions,
+1 phpBB should work out of the box without requiring users to go install even more things. Of course, depending on their browser that may mean a less than optimal browsing experience (although with IE, that's to be expected :lol:), but that's neither our fault nor our problem. We do what we can to make the experience as similar across browsers as possible, understanding that some browsers don't play as nicely as others. Major features should definitely take such things into account, even to the point of leaving them out if not all users will be able to use them, but something like rounded corners isn't a major feature. Besides, pointy corners aren't all bad, and the page load will decrease because the image won't have to be loaded each time.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ger

Post by Ger »

imkingdavid wrote:+1 phpBB should work out of the box without requiring users to go install even more things. Of course, depending on their browser that may mean a less than optimal browsing experience (although with IE, that's to be expected :lol:), but that's neither our fault nor our problem. We do what we can to make the experience as similar across browsers as possible, understanding that some browsers don't play as nicely as others. Major features should definitely take such things into account, even to the point of leaving them out if not all users will be able to use them, but something like rounded corners isn't a major feature. Besides, pointy corners aren't all bad, and the page load will decrease because the image won't have to be loaded each time.
+1.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

That isn't phpBB's place to do, I would strongly disagree with it.

naderman wrote: I'd rather skip any IE specific workarounds like PIE, and just go with the CSS3 solution. Not having rounded corners is really not the end of the world.
+1
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Well i say to just get on with the CSS3 propertys and ignore IE, Like Naderman said.
Its okay if they dont see round corners, not really a big issue. If they want performance they should upgrade their browsers, same like with operating systems. I guess the PIE Option could be made into a MODification and the forum owners can add it if they feel like it. The MOD Could have a module that enables the PIE Addon and a warning message to upgrade to a modern browser, or at least IE9. Or... add two options for PiE And Google Chromes frame..... Theres too many ifs.. i sort of get confused in writing :roll:
Previous user: TheKiller

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

seeing as how i first proposed it obviously +1 lol :D also something to consider al be it not related to round corners but if we do away with all the gradients on the forums and the header and change the color scheme we can also eliminate the need for alot of the image overhead as well making the theme load faster more along the lines of subsilver, coupled with the dynamic sprite concept that was in the works if it ever gets implemented will completely streamline the theme. Only thing left from their as far as theme improvements go from the original topic is the HTML/CSS restructure into a cleaner and more semantic file. but really need to completely externalize the JS before that can/should happen
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Updated first post, created ticket.

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC|Merged] Rounded corners via css

Post by Arty »

This RFC was solved by Shibu Lijack and merged.

PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb3/pull/674

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Re: [RFC|Merged] Rounded corners via css

Post by Vinny »

border-radius should be applied to docs/stylesheet.css too.

igorw wrote:As per IRC, images/corners_left.png and images/corners_right.png can be removed. @cyberalien mentioned that having to add that clear class everywhere is not so nice.
Any reason to keep the images corners_left2.gif and corners_right2.gif?