[RFC] Predefined HTML inserts in posts

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
rien

[RFC] Predefined HTML inserts in posts

Post by rien »

Allow the insertion of HTML snippets into a message using a predefined map.
Example: [html]{id}[/html]
The {id} would refer to a map in which each {id} is mapped to a certain HTML snippet.
A screen would be necessary to allow administrators and/or moderators to enter the HTML snippets and associate them with ids.
The purpose is for the insertion of affiliate links into messages.
By using a map an update of an affiliate link can be made centrally into the map itself without the need to go through all messages in which it might be used.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: [RFC] Predefined HTML inserts in posts

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

How does this idea differ from custom BBCodes?
A_Jelly_Doughnut

rien

Post by rien »

It centralizes the maintenance of the external links.

Btw, it could also be used for other purposes, any time you reference something that is changeable you could use this mechanism.

Example: you have multiple posts referring to a person that is responsible for sales, like: "Please call Ed in sales" you would write "Please call [map]sales_contact[/map] in sales". Then when Ed finally leaves the company and is replaced by Bill, you would simply update the map and have "sales_contact" be replaced by "Bill" instead of "Ed". Your previous posts would then all read "Please contact Bill in sales" without you going through all messages to perform this change manually.

PS: In this example I assumed that the [html] bbcode in my first post would be [map]. I believe [map] is better because it more accurately describes the intent.

doktornotor

Post by doktornotor »

Still do not see why this cannot be dome with custom BBCodes in case you need this. (99.9% of boards do not.)

rien

Post by rien »

doktornotor wrote:Still do not see why this cannot be dome with custom BBCodes in case you need this. (99.9% of boards do not.)
Maybe its just me, but can you show me how this is done?

Edit: Maybe you intent to create a specific bbcode for every id?
That would work, but is hardly an elegant solution, and could extract a performance hit on normal postings if you have to manage hundreds of such ids.

brunoais

Post by brunoais »

I believe this only makes sense to make as an extension.
Building something that almost no one wants in the basic package is a bad idea.

rien

Post by rien »

I have subcontracted this and received a most satisfying solution.
If anybody out there wants the same solution, please contact me at rien a-t overbeterleven dot nl