In this topic it was brought up that style authors are limited to using only the language entries provided in the core installation.
This prevents the inclusion of new style-specific sections (such as a Quick Links menu). Currently, they can just use an image (to prevent getting denied for using Hard Coded language text), but there is an RFC to remove imagesets (for language-specific images) in 3.1.
As such, there arises a need for styles to be able to include their own language variables so that they can include new style components easily.
There are two main ways I see of implementing this, (extact file naming/structure is up for discussion):
- Put the file in the language directory (such as language/en/style/prosilver.php or language/en/style_prosilver.php)
- Upside, language files stay together
- Downside is that the style isn't just one nice directory to download and upload into the styles/ folder.
- Put language file in styles directory (such as styles/prosilver/lang/en.php) Update: This is the preferred method.
- Upside, style files are all contained in their style directory
- Downside, language files are no longer all in the language/ directory.
In either case there would need to be changes in the language system to have it search for files automatically in whichever location is chosen. if the file doesn't exist for the current language, default to board default. If no file exists, just don't include one.
Ideas? Thoughts? Things I missed?