Moving away from Jira

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
rxu

Re: Moving away from Jira

Post by rxu »

Apparently, and taking in consideration the RFC voting system topic, (new) system should have (or should allow to create) a powerful RFC tracking system.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

rxu wrote:Apparently, and taking in consideration the RFC voting system topic, (new) system should have (or should allow to create) a powerful RFC tracking system.
I don't think they should be combined. The ideas centre if for your average joe and josphine public to come and vote on features that as part of the community they would think are nice. They wouldn't want to go to a bug tracker, go past all the implementation talk etc. just to say they liked something. At the moment idea torrent is being tested and I believe someone is developing their own version and I think they would be better solutions than too combine it with the tracker, if combining with the tracker was a good idea then they would use the JIRA voting.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
rxu wrote:Apparently, and taking in consideration the RFC voting system topic, (new) system should have (or should allow to create) a powerful RFC tracking system.
I don't think they should be combined. The ideas centre if for your average joe and josphine public to come and vote on features that as part of the community they would think are nice. They wouldn't want to go to a bug tracker, go past all the implementation talk etc. just to say they liked something. At the moment idea torrent is being tested and I believe someone is developing their own version and I think they would be better solutions than too combine it with the tracker, if combining with the tracker was a good idea then they would use the JIRA voting.
+1
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

rxu

Post by rxu »

I never suggested to combine the bug and RFC trackers here.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

rxu wrote:I never suggested to combine the bug and RFC trackers here.
Your saying that a powerful RFC tracking system needs to be included in the tracker... I said that I thought they should be two completely separate entities.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

rxu

Post by rxu »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Your saying that a powerful RFC tracking system needs to be included in the tracker.
I didn't say anything about any bug tracker. JIRA is not only a bug tracking, but a project tracking system.
So, having RFC tracking withing such tool would be a good thing.
Hope I'm not confusing anybody this time again :)

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

One thing that would be nice for whatever we choose would be to decrease the number of places in which discussion about the same feature take place. For instance, right now there's a Discussion forum for each version to sort of get feedback on ideas without the technical aspects, there's the RFC forum for the more in-depth discussion once a feature is more likely to be implemented, there's the JIRA ticket discussion area, and eventually there's the Pull Request discussion area. Especially when pull requests are tagged as WIP and as such are going to be there for a while, the discussion in the pull request is not always just about the actual code but also implementation. That makes 4 separate places in which people can discuss the one feature, which can be confusing and difficult to follow.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

imkingdavid wrote:One thing that would be nice for whatever we choose would be to decrease the number of places in which discussion about the same feature take place. For instance, right now there's a Discussion forum for each version to sort of get feedback on ideas without the technical aspects, there's the RFC forum for the more in-depth discussion once a feature is more likely to be implemented, there's the JIRA ticket discussion area, and eventually there's the Pull Request discussion area. That makes 4 separate places in which people can discuss the one feature, which can be confusing and difficult to follow.
+1. At minimum, there should be a workflow where discusson moves along from one station to the next with fore- and backlinks.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

For an integrated issue tracking/patch review/discussion system take a look at how Drupal does it: http://drupal.org/node/1130814. They even have regression test results inline.

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager

Post by bantu »

Required Features:
* Efficient User Integration and support for many users (phpBB.com userbase)
* User Groups
* Assignee Field for specified user groups
* Ticket Types (Bug, Improvement, etc.)
* Ticket Priorities
* Ticket Relationships (Duplicates, Caused by, etc.)
* Versions and support for non-linear development
* Statuses (Open, Has Patch, etc.)
* Complex Workflow Support (Status X -> Status Y constraints)
* Git Integration (Linking Tickets to Commits and vice versa)
* Continuous Integration Support (Linking Builds to Tickets and vice versa)
* File Attachments
* Multiple Projects Support
* Project Reports / Statistics
* Roadmap / Todo List
* User-defined search filters
* Ability to hide and unhide security related tickets from the public.
* Ability to put code snippets into comments or the ticket description.
* Ability to move to another bug tracking solution (data export).