MODDB - phpBB version compatibility polls feature

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
doktornotor

MODDB - phpBB version compatibility polls feature

Post by doktornotor »

Tired of neverending "does it work with phpBB X.Y.Z" threads in mod support forums? Well, a lot of them could possibly be avoided by deploying polls like WordPress has for their plugins. In case you do not know what I am speaking about, see the screenshot attached. Mod being validated does not mean it will work properly with next version and many mods have not been updated for years, yet people want to use them. Some of them work perfectly fine, some of them get seriously broken as the new phpBB versions get released. (IMHO there really should be some review of mods once a new version phpBB gets released and the seriously broken once should be moved to some archive board or whatnot until someone possibly picks them up and fixes them, but I can imagine there is not enough manpower for this :( Anyway, that is beyond the scope of this RFC.)

As for recycling phpBB voting features for this, not really possible in the way WP does it without extending the functionality, however I can imagine some sort of "archiving" the previous poll once a new MOD or phpBB version gets released, so people could only cast their vote for just the up-to-date, latest phpBB + MOD version combos.

Comments? :P
compat_poll_01.png
compat_poll_01.png (8.75 KiB) Viewed 16389 times
compat_poll_02.png
compat_poll_02.png (8.7 KiB) Viewed 16389 times

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: [RFC] MODDB - phpBB version compatibility polls feature

Post by MichaelC »

MOD Authors can just re-submit the MOD for validation.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Unknown Bliss wrote:MOD Authors can just re-submit the MOD for validation.
But they don't, always. I've downloaded a few broken mods before.

+1
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

doktornotor

Post by doktornotor »

Unknown Bliss wrote:MOD Authors can just re-submit the MOD for validation.
Uhm, not the MIA ones... ;) For the active authors, this is kinda non-issue, they know best if the mods needs updating for newer phpBB version, for mods whose authors are inactive/gone this kind of poll would provide useful sanity indication and save users' time trying to install non-working mods, possibly resulting in a broken board. (Could be even used as an indicator for moving the most broken ones "out of the way" to some mods dustbin forum mentioned above.)

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

Problem with such poll is clueless users will be able to vote. User uploaded mod, didn't apply changes to his custom style, so it doesn't work = user clicks "Broken" button. Mod is fine, user is at fault.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

This is not really the right place for this discussion anyways. The phpBB Development Team is not in charge of the MODDB nor do they do anything at all with it. This topic is better off at phpbb.com either under phpBB Discussion or MOD Writers Discussion.

doktornotor

Post by doktornotor »

DavidIQ wrote:This is not really the right place for this discussion anyways. The phpBB Development Team is not in charge of the MODDB nor do they do anything at all with it. This topic is better off at phpbb.com either under phpBB Discussion or MOD Writers Discussion.
Well, I have no idea who is in charge of the website... This idea was already mentioned by myself in the modifications forum but due to the noise there it got completely lost.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

Arty wrote:Problem with such poll is clueless users will be able to vote. User uploaded mod, didn't apply changes to his custom style, so it doesn't work = user clicks "Broken" button. Mod is fine, user is at fault.
+1000!

The last thing MOD authors need is "users" commenting on the compatibility of their MODs...for exactly the reason Arty mentions. The current ratings system is bad enough already - as disgruntled users who failed to properly install a MOD on their super-customised hot-rodded boards will blame your MOD for not working, instead of their own heavily modified board, and potentially give you an undeserved low rating.

I solve this whole issue quite simply - I add to the description of my MODs what versions of phpBB I know they are compatible with. i.e.: "Compatible with phpBB 3.05 - 3.0.9"
Has an irascible disposition.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Arty wrote:Problem with such poll is clueless users will be able to vote. User uploaded mod, didn't apply changes to his custom style, so it doesn't work = user clicks "Broken" button. Mod is fine, user is at fault.
This is why both yes and no counts are displayed, or alternatively percentage and total count.

Bugmenot does this and I think it works very well: http://www.bugmenot.com/view/sun.com

With the counts everyone should be able to make an informed decision about whether to trust the works/does not work recommendation.

That said, the development team indeed does not do anything with moddb.

doktornotor

Post by doktornotor »

Oleg wrote: That said, the development team indeed does not do anything with moddb.
Someone could maybe post how does one submit suggestions regarding the website, instead of how one does not? (No, the suggestions above to post in the generic phpbb.com forum totally do not work.) Sure I could file a ticket @ http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/website/ but that was not my intention.

Happy New Year to everyone. ;)