[RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
tbackoff

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by tbackoff »

XTF wrote:
t_backoff wrote:Personally, I like them.
Why?
Because I get the choice to return to the topic or return to the forum. The choice is very handy when (for example) I am answering suppot questions on phpBB.com.
Unknown Bliss wrote:Including a hook file in a default phpBB installation wouldn't really make sense. If there was going to be a way to remove it then it would need to be yet another ACP option (unlikely) or removing code.
Why not? It's my understanding that phpBB wants to move more towards hooks for the software. Including a hook that disables the redirects will server both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Isn't this whole RFC invalid with the AJAX work anyways? You wouldn't see the post confirmation page at all.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

DavidIQ wrote:Isn't this whole RFC invalid with the AJAX work anyways? You wouldn't see the post confirmation page at all.
The quick reply form is AJAXified, but the traditional post reply page is not.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

XTF

Post by XTF »

DavidIQ wrote:Slow internet speeds is a rather prevalent issue around the US and I'm sure lots of other parts of the world.
In that case users should be given a choice via UCP.

XTF

Post by XTF »

t_backoff wrote:Why not? It's my understanding that phpBB wants to move more towards hooks for the software. Including a hook that disables the redirects will server both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality.
No, it doesn't. It's a board-wide option, not a per-user option.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

XTF wrote:
t_backoff wrote:Why not? It's my understanding that phpBB wants to move more towards hooks for the software. Including a hook that disables the redirects will server both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality.
I think you misunderstood me - when I said "Including a hook that disables the redirects will serve both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality", I was gearing my post towards administrator users. It serves both sides on that front. ;)

XTF

Post by XTF »

t_backoff wrote:
XTF wrote:
I think you misunderstood me - when I said "Including a hook that disables the redirects will serve both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality", I was gearing my post towards administrator users. It serves both sides on that front. ;)
Maybe, but it's still not a proper solution.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

XTF wrote: In that case users should be given a choice via UCP.
"Display interstitial pages" is not a very interesting setting.

Personally, I've used SMF boards on a 56kbps dial-up connection. SMF has no interstitial pages, and I was less annoyed than when I was posting on phpBB.com because I didn't waste 2 sec worth of time downloading a page with no real meaning. (Redirecting to the topic or the forum still confirms to me that my post was successfully submitted)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

doktornotor

Post by doktornotor »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
XTF wrote: In that case users should be given a choice via UCP.
"Display interstitial pages" is not a very interesting setting.

Personally, I've used SMF boards on a 56kbps dial-up connection. SMF has no interstitial pages, and I was less annoyed than when I was posting on phpBB.com because I didn't waste 2 sec worth of time downloading a page with no real meaning. (Redirecting to the topic or the forum still confirms to me that my post was successfully submitted)
+1... These interstitial pages annoy me like hell, they are on places where they make no sense but wasting people's time.

Login After Activation
Prime Login Return
Prime Logout Return
Auto ACP redirection
Instant post redirect

5 mods to install on every single board to get the behavior at least sort of like it should be? C'mon. (Yes, I would be perfectly fine with deleting in case it would nuke all these annoyances, unlike the above process, it only takes seconds to complete.)

P.S. Should I open another RFC for another completely nonsensical ACP login interstitial?

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Can somebody just work on a patch for this? (potentially by simply using one of the MODs)