[RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
User avatar
tmbackoff
Registered User
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 am

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by tmbackoff » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:59 pm

XTF wrote:
t_backoff wrote:Personally, I like them.
Why?
Because I get the choice to return to the topic or return to the forum. The choice is very handy when (for example) I am answering suppot questions on phpBB.com.
Unknown Bliss wrote:Including a hook file in a default phpBB installation wouldn't really make sense. If there was going to be a way to remove it then it would need to be yet another ACP option (unlikely) or removing code.
Why not? It's my understanding that phpBB wants to move more towards hooks for the software. Including a hook that disables the redirects will server both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality.

User avatar
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by DavidIQ » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:02 am

Isn't this whole RFC invalid with the AJAX work anyways? You wouldn't see the post confirmation page at all.
Image

User avatar
callumacrae
Infrastructure Team
Infrastructure Team
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:37 am
Location: England
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by callumacrae » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:51 am

DavidIQ wrote:Isn't this whole RFC invalid with the AJAX work anyways? You wouldn't see the post confirmation page at all.
The quick reply form is AJAXified, but the traditional post reply page is not.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

XTF
Registered User
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by XTF » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:06 pm

DavidIQ wrote:Slow internet speeds is a rather prevalent issue around the US and I'm sure lots of other parts of the world.
In that case users should be given a choice via UCP.

XTF
Registered User
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by XTF » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:07 pm

t_backoff wrote:Why not? It's my understanding that phpBB wants to move more towards hooks for the software. Including a hook that disables the redirects will server both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality.
No, it doesn't. It's a board-wide option, not a per-user option.

User avatar
tmbackoff
Registered User
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 am

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by tmbackoff » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:37 pm

XTF wrote:
t_backoff wrote:Why not? It's my understanding that phpBB wants to move more towards hooks for the software. Including a hook that disables the redirects will server both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality.
No, it doesn't. It's a board-wide option, not a per-user option.
I think you misunderstood me - when I said "Including a hook that disables the redirects will serve both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality", I was gearing my post towards administrator users. It serves both sides on that front. ;)

XTF
Registered User
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by XTF » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:58 pm

t_backoff wrote:
XTF wrote:
t_backoff wrote:Why not? It's my understanding that phpBB wants to move more towards hooks for the software. Including a hook that disables the redirects will server both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality.
No, it doesn't. It's a board-wide option, not a per-user option.
I think you misunderstood me - when I said "Including a hook that disables the redirects will serve both sides - those that want the redirect pages (like myself) have the option to delete the hook to retain that functionality", I was gearing my post towards administrator users. It serves both sides on that front. ;)
Maybe, but it's still not a proper solution.

User avatar
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Registered User
Posts: 1780
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:23 pm

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:51 am

XTF wrote: In that case users should be given a choice via UCP.
"Display interstitial pages" is not a very interesting setting.

Personally, I've used SMF boards on a 56kbps dial-up connection. SMF has no interstitial pages, and I was less annoyed than when I was posting on phpBB.com because I didn't waste 2 sec worth of time downloading a page with no real meaning. (Redirecting to the topic or the forum still confirms to me that my post was successfully submitted)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

doktornotor
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by doktornotor » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:52 am

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
XTF wrote: In that case users should be given a choice via UCP.
"Display interstitial pages" is not a very interesting setting.

Personally, I've used SMF boards on a 56kbps dial-up connection. SMF has no interstitial pages, and I was less annoyed than when I was posting on phpBB.com because I didn't waste 2 sec worth of time downloading a page with no real meaning. (Redirecting to the topic or the forum still confirms to me that my post was successfully submitted)
+1... These interstitial pages annoy me like hell, they are on places where they make no sense but wasting people's time.

Login After Activation
Prime Login Return
Prime Logout Return
Auto ACP redirection
Instant post redirect

5 mods to install on every single board to get the behavior at least sort of like it should be? C'mon. (Yes, I would be perfectly fine with deleting in case it would nuke all these annoyances, unlike the above process, it only takes seconds to complete.)

P.S. Should I open another RFC for another completely nonsensical ACP login interstitial?

User avatar
naderman
Product Manager
Product Manager
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:11 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Contact:

Re: [RFC] Skip post confirmation page

Post by naderman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:06 am

Can somebody just work on a patch for this? (potentially by simply using one of the MODs)

Locked