[RFC|Replaced] MOD Installer in 3.1

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
Ger

Re: [RFC] MOD Installer in 3.1

Post by Ger »

I think 2 things must be considered here:
1. The ability to create and install MODs with file alterations
2. The desire to keep file alterations on a board to a minimum

The first will always be possible, with or without an automatic installer. And by leaving AutoMOD out of the default package, people are discouraged at making these file alterations. If they want to use it however, they can simply download AutoMOD and use it anyway, just the same as it is in 3.0.

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to include a system in the core of phpBB that allows easy file alterations by MODs, when the team want to move away from these alterations in the future. Of course, there will be a need for file alterations in 3.1, but what about 3.2? At the time 3.2 arrives (probably not the next year), I think most people will have adapted to the hook system, or at least will be familiar with it. And I guess 3.2 will have an even better and/or more complete hook system than 3.1 because we (both end users, MOD authors and developers) will have some experience then.
I think the hook system in 3.2 will probably eliminate the need for file edits for about 90% or so, leaving the additional value for AutoMOD in the core to a minimum.

Therefore I think it's a good idea not to include AutoMOD in the core of 3.1, but leaving it as an additional package like it is now.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

I'm with DavidIq here.. so a +1 for him :D

But Ithin a transition situation is never easy.. You ahve to change the thinking of the mod dev's and add a bunch of hooks... But by beginning to add the commonly used things (adding hook to common.php etc) makes it easier for all. Of course we cannot add all the hooks immediately, but the real-time development of mod's for 3.2 and beyond will give the locations of where hooks are missing and so possible to add in the future versions of the main version (so perhaps 3.2.0 will be followed to 3.2.1 etc etc.. just because of adding hook locations..)... and in the end you might end up with 1k+ of hook locations that we missed.

Remember one cannot develop/create everything at once, it took the car manufactures over a 100 years of developing the car of today. The essence of the car has stayed the same, but the features changed because we wanted to go faster (better engines), we wanted to stay dry (roof), we wanted more safety (seat belts etc), beter climate controle (airco etc), etc.. and so the car changed over time.. as will the hooks and hook locations for phpBB. And that will continue because ppl come with different ideas all the time.
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

naim

Post by naim »

Good to add a Mod with just Copy & paste to a mod folder,
And about file edits - this to can be resolved by adding an "Execution queue".

every mod will be executed in an order defined by admin,
instead of modifying template files, simply add place-holders for mods.

every mod will be-able to add HTML to a place in the page
$GLOBALS['blocks']['header']->add("mod-unique-id", "<script ...>");

<html>
<head>
<title>...</title>
.... phpBB Core generated headers ...
{MODS.header}
</head>

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

naim wrote:Good to add a Mod with just Copy & paste to a mod folder,
And about file edits - this to can be resolved by adding an "Execution queue".

every mod will be executed in an order defined by admin,
instead of modifying template files, simply add place-holders for mods.

every mod will be-able to add HTML to a place in the page
$GLOBALS['blocks']['header']->add("mod-unique-id", "<script ...>");

<html>
<head>
<title>...</title>
.... phpBB Core generated headers ...
{MODS.header}
</head>
See the topic about template hooks: viewtopic.php?f=111&t=33699
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I agree with david, although edit-less MODs are what is being aimed at, this won't happen overnight. For one, MOD developers need to be able to learn the usage of the hooks system and secondly there will never be hooks in every location that a MOD might need it in. Maybe a change like this might be more suited to Arsia or Rhea (Or a 3.3 if there is one).

Also, if you have MOD Updates, how would you go about that as without file edits this would require replacing files?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

tct

Post by tct »

+1
I'm Vietnamese so I'm not good in speaking English!!!

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

This RFC has now been superseded by the more up to date proposal in [RFC] Extension Admin