Usability

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
availablelogin

Usability

Post by availablelogin »

I think the "Logout [username]" link on the right is extremely confusing

I'm pretty sure thousands of people every day click on their username thinking this will take them to the profile management page

Then, they have to re-login, which is a pain in the a**

This link shouldn't change visually, but it should be split into two links:

phpBB/ucp.php?mode=logout
phpBB/ucp.php

Arty
Former Team Member

Re: Usability

Post by Arty »

I've never heard of anyone confusing logout link for profile link. When you move mouse over link, it highlights whole link, making it clear that user name is part of logout link.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Arty wrote:I've never heard of anyone confusing logout link for profile link. When you move mouse over link, it highlights whole link, making it clear that user name is part of logout link.
this
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

It has becme rather common though to have the user's name lead to a menu including logout and other profile options. Instead we still have the separate User Control Panel link. A change in that direction might still improve things.

Ger

Post by Ger »

Maybe something like IPB does?

And when clicking the triangle next to the user name you get this:

This second screenshot is a bit too much for my taste, but some quick links to profile, settings, etc. might be handy.

On a side-note: this seems more an Arsia than an Ascreus thing to me.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Ger wrote:Maybe something like IPB does?

And when clicking the triangle next to the user name you get this:

This second screenshot is a bit too much for my taste, but some quick links to profile, settings, etc. might be handy.

On a side-note: this seems more an Arsia than an Ascreus thing to me.
+1!
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Moved to 3.2 discussion.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

I have never seen a complaint about this before, but I can see the cause for confusion.

I agree that instead of the "User Control Panel (X new messages)" link it should be the current user's username, and clicking on it should open a menu of some sort with quick links, such as UCP, Profile, and Logout.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

availablelogin

Post by availablelogin »

The best would be to merge "User Control Panel" + "View your posts" + the username next to Logout into one link called "Profile", that's getting standard as naderman says

KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid) is the basic principle of Usability

And keep in mind that not all forum users have our average IT level, I'm using PHPBB for a support forum and my users don't even know how to enter an activation code in a software, so don't expect them to wait for the tooltip to show up or to make the difference between "User Control Panel, their username and whatever else