RFC Process Change Suggestion

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
keith10456

Re: RFC Process Change Suggestion

Post by keith10456 »

callumacrae wrote:
igorw wrote:Noxwizard just pointed me towards: http://www.ideatorrent.org/ Looks decent.
+1, looks good
+1.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

keith10456 wrote:
callumacrae wrote:
igorw wrote:Noxwizard just pointed me towards: http://www.ideatorrent.org/ Looks decent.
+1, looks good
+1.
+1

As a side note, each Sourceforge.net project will have the option to use IdeaTorrent as an embedded application within the project page (as well as already some big names like phpBB, MediaWiki,.= .. so why not to embed it?

But, I think we are coming round in circles, the average of users will not see that embedded new stuff there.
Maybe is better to use .com as a nursery for RFCs (somehow syncd to here though), making a RFC posting template somehow and a Forum for those.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Indeed the problem with using ever more tools is that it's becoming hard to know where to go for what. We've tried to improve that with the unified navigation of area51, but if we want to reach more users and not just those who already frequent area51, phpbb.com is probably the best place.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

I've activated IdeaTorrent on our SourceForge account so you guys can play with it and see what you think: http://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorrent/phpbb/
If you like it, we can host it on our servers. If not, we'll look for something else.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I started writing https://github.com/callumacrae/phpbb-ideas and then went on holiday
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Noxwizard wrote:I've activated IdeaTorrent on our SourceForge account so you guys can play with it and see what you think: http://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorrent/phpbb/
If you like it, we can host it on our servers. If not, we'll look for something else.
I cannot put a period in the Tags, so for instance we cannot have tags like "3.1". Instead it would be "31".

Also, I'm not sure if it's just me or just on SF, but the dashboard layout is screwey in Chrome. The My Bookmarks tab wraps to a new line (actually overlapping the first tab) and the Latest Comments box is not formatted correctly.

Just from initially using it, I don't really like it much... kinda of ugly and not all that user-friendly just from a first impression. Perhaps after I play around with it it won't turn out to be so bad.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I'm using a netbook with resolution 1366 x 768 and using chrome 16 (also checked with canary which is chrome 18) and it looks fine.

I do see what IKD means UI-wise, it is a bit clunky, a lot of white space, very long winded. Also the having multiple solutions to a problem doesn't seem like something that is needed for the main phpbb.com UI. That seems like something more for Area51.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

Little things like tweaking the regex applied to tags or HTML oddities in the layout can be fixed. It's mainly about determining if it has the features and workflow that is desired. If we hosted it, it would look something like this:
ideatorrent.png
(171.33 KiB) Downloaded 1986 times
Having multiple solutions could be useful if someone had a drastically different approach to the problem, like this topic for example. Use !ponies, use UserEcho, IdeaTorrent, use X, etc.. each giving pros and cons. Something that I didn't necessarily like was that the idea creator has to provide a solution. If it's for the general public, they may just want to provide a feature request, "I want AJAX" and not know what to put in the solution box.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

We could hack it up so there is the possibility to provide other solutions by other people. :idea:

nextgen

Post by nextgen »

callumacrae wrote:I started writing https://github.com/callumacrae/phpbb-ideas and then went on holiday
Not bad at your job, I like what I saw. :)
*Imagine a signature super spectacular.*