Finish up and release

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: Finish up and release

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Without hooks, what are the "marketed features" that would be in 3.1?

This is the list of new features and improvements already tagged as completed for 3.1 in the tracker:
http://tracker.phpbb.com/secure/IssueNa ... stId=10250
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Lurttinen

Post by Lurttinen »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Without hooks, what are the "marketed features" that would be in 3.1?

This is the list of new features and improvements already tagged as completed for 3.1 in the tracker:
Also what are the visible (For registered users) changes in the front end?

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

This looks like an interesting proposal. In case the development cycle gets changed, like Erik is suggesting, the feature list should be adjusted. Quicker releases are nice but many will probably also like to see some visual changes. Only "under the hood" improvements might still not satisfy most board owners.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:Without hooks, what are the "marketed features" that would be in 3.1?

The extensions system which as I understand is ready to be merged would be one. Yes there might not be a real buzz feature, but the buzz feature that was planned (hooks) is nowhere near completion.
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

rxu

Post by rxu »

As far as I know, Extensions system makes no sense without the new hooks implementation, especially template hooks.

Lurttinen

Post by Lurttinen »

There needs to be a buzz. Why else would i upgrade? :P
3.1 must have superior user experience.

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

For the same reason you otherwise update? To get the latest bug fixes and new features?
Also, how big in reality is the buzz value of hooks at this point of time? phpBB had them and only gets a what more powerful system, but its hardly new/unique/buzzable.
Available on .com

Lurttinen

Post by Lurttinen »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:For the same reason you otherwise update? To get the latest bug fixes and new features?
That would be subjective view for board owners. I have MODded my forum to suit my needs. :)
I will not go from 3.0 to 3.1 if it kicks less ass than my current version. :P 3.0.x updates are not same as upgrade to 3.1

Problem is not how to rebuild a forum, but is it worth it? I can do it if i want, no problems there...
Will the new features justify upgrading and possibly losing functions i currently need?
How many MODs do i need to install to get what i want?
How soon are these MODs i want available for 3.1?

:)

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Lurttinen wrote:
Erik Frèrejean wrote:For the same reason you otherwise update? To get the latest bug fixes and new features?
That would be subjective view for board owners. I have MODded my forum to suit my needs. :)
I will not go from 3.0 to 3.1 if it kicks less ass than my current version. :P 3.0.x updates are not same as upgrade to 3.1
Sure you'll always have board owners that won't upgrade, I've not decided that as well though most likely I won't be upgrading any time soon after the release. For my boards 3.1 doesn't bring anything we need any time soon (or not already have with MODs) but that isn't a reason to prevent the new features that are in the repository to be released.
Lurttinen wrote:Problem is not how to rebuild a forum, but is it worth it? I can do it if i want, no problems there...
Will the new features justify upgrading and possibly losing functions i currently need?
How many MODs do i need to install to get what i want?
How soon are these MODs i want available for 3.1?

:)
As 3.1 is based upon 3.0, most MODs should be able to be either compatible with 3.1 or very easily updated to work with it. Remember the core doesn't change very much, it just gets enhanced and keeping backward compatibility is a major thing (from the top of my head only the new request class actually requires a complete new way of interacting with the globals. That said request_var is kept fully functional for backward compatibility).
Overall upgrading shouldn't cause to many problems, obviously using MODs increases the potential of conflicts but thats also the case when updating within the 3.0 line.
Available on .com

rxu

Post by rxu »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:As 3.1 is based upon 3.0, most MODs should be able to be either compatible with 3.1 or very easily updated to work with it. Remember the core doesn't change very much, it just gets enhanced and keeping backward compatibility is a major thing (from the top of my head only the new request class actually requires a complete new way of interacting with the globals. That said request_var is kept fully functional for backward compatibility).
If I'm not mistaking again, new template engine was merged into 3.1 already. That means 3.1 got more major changes in comparison with 3.0 core, and thus MODs for 3.0 won't be compatible with 3.1 in that part and will have to be rewrited. In conjunction with new extensions/hooks system, 3.1 should receive absolutely different way of modification and extensibility.