[RFC|Merged] Use Google's jQuery

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
sooskriszta

Re: [RFC] Use Google's jQuery

Post by sooskriszta »

VSE+ wrote:I will bring this down to a single Yes/No option using the Google CDN then.

Of course, using the included version of jQuery is the default setting.
+1

Easier to create, easier to manage, simpler interface, solves the issue for 80% of the people.
OC2PS
Testfestés, Arcfestés, Csillámfestés

Alapanyagok, Képzések, Ismertetők
Hennafestés
GMAT coaching and MBA Admissions Consulting
formerly known as sooskriszta

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

sooskriszta wrote:
sajaki wrote:You all seem to forget that having a hosted cdn means you're forced to use the latest version of jquery
Not true at all. Google offers several versions.
If I am understanding sajaki correctly the problem he is pointing at, is not the fact that google offers several versions but the fact that with the current simple implementation you can not choose which version of jquery you want or have to use. I might be wrong thought.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

You should always get exactly the same version that is shipped with phpBB.

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

DarkBeing wrote:
sooskriszta wrote:
sajaki wrote:You all seem to forget that having a hosted cdn means you're forced to use the latest version of jquery
Not true at all. Google offers several versions.
If I am understanding sajaki correctly the problem he is pointing at, is not the fact that google offers several versions but the fact that with the current simple implementation you can not choose which version of jquery you want or have to use. I might be wrong thought.
Currently, jquery 1.6.2 is in phpBB 3.1, and that is the same version being linked to from Google CDN.

Whenever jquery gets updated in phpBB, so too will the version being linked to so they always match.

Anyways, the pull requests has been updated to the simpler Google option Yes/No interface :D
Has an irascible disposition.

naim

Post by naim »

What if one day Google decides to shut-down the CDN?
Google's CDN is a service that they can shut when ever they want, let the users decide if they want to use jQuery via CDN.

And why Google's CDN, there are a few others too...

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

naim wrote:What if one day Google decides to shut-down the CDN?
Google's CDN is a service that they can shut when ever they want, let the users decide if they want to use jQuery via CDN.

And why Google's CDN, there are a few others too...
The board admins can decide, but the users themselves can't. Google won't shut down their CDN without tonnes of notice, leaving phpBB plenty of time to issue a new release.

Google's CDN is the most widely used CDN, and therefore the best one - it is the most likely that it is already in the users cache.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

naim wrote:What if one day Google decides to shut-down the CDN?
That's exactly what the goal now is, please read the topic before you reply.
naim wrote:And why Google's CDN, there are a few others too...
Please read the previous posts, we discussed this quite a bit.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

On privacy regarding Google CDN:

Just as a note, after a bit of searching I found that Google's CDN does not use cookies. The only things that it could see are referer headers and the IP addresses of the clients themselves.

For users that don't allow cookies, Google would be able to see those users' session identifiers in their URLs. However, for 99% of users this won't be a problem. I suppose that the same users that don't use cookies probably do allow external images, so they are vulnerable anyway (so the point is probably moot). I just thought I'd share my thoughts anyway.

Another thought: if the site forces HTTPS in the ACP then should it use the SSL version of the Google CDN jQuery by default? Or should there be a second option, Google CDN (SSL)? This would prevent the "non-secure" or "broken lock" warnings that almost all browsers show if there is mixed content on the page.

In general, I am for having external CDNs being added as an option.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by MattF »

/a3 wrote:Another thought: if the site forces HTTPS in the ACP then should it use the SSL version of the Google CDN jQuery by default? Or should there be a second option, Google CDN (SSL)? This would prevent the "non-secure" or "broken lock" warnings that almost all browsers show if there is mixed content on the page.
Not an issue. This change was written to account for either http or https by using the protocol relative url method.

http://blog.benpowell.co.uk/2011/08/htt ... ss-or.html
Has an irascible disposition.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

Ahh yes, I remember that now, that makes sense. I remember seeing that on no-http.org but that site no longer exists (it's in the Wayback Machine though).