Board Version on footer

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Dragosvr92

Board Version on footer

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Hey, i was wondering..
What if you include the phpBB version in the footer, so that the users know, that the webmaster cares to update it..

Code: Select all

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group - Version 3.0.9

Code: Select all

Powered by phpBB® 3.0.9 Forum Software © phpBB Group
People should be gaven a system alike the debugging one, so that they will disable it or not.
Previous user: TheKiller

ameeck

Re: Board Version on footer

Post by ameeck »

phpBB featured the board version in the footer in the early 2.0.x series. The primary reason to remove it was security. There were some nasty version specific exploits for phpBB and one could find vulnerable boards by a simple Google search query. You can still do this in phpBB (for example by searching for version specific text or files in the DOCS/ directory), but to a much lesser extent.

Even if you would dismiss the security argument, why should the users know what version is the board running? That's the sole responsibility of the board owner or administrator and he gets to say what software he uses and when or wheter he updates it or not.
Please think before you post.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

ameeck wrote:phpBB featured the board version in the footer in the early 2.0.x series. The primary reason to remove it was security. There were some nasty version specific exploits for phpBB and one could find vulnerable boards by a simple Google search query. You can still do this in phpBB (for example by searching for version specific text or files in the DOCS/ directory), but to a much lesser extent.

Even if you would dismiss the security argument, why should the users know what version is the board running? That's the sole responsibility of the board owner or administrator and he gets to say what software he uses and when or wheter he updates it or not.
This.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

DarkBeing

Post by DarkBeing »

What ameeck said!

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Well i know two ways of getting someone's phpBB version.
And i know how to add the Version myself, i made a MOD Which displays the version.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

TheKiller wrote:And i know how to add the Version myself, i made a MOD Which displays the version.
I believe that if you submitted it to the modification database, it would be denied as a security problem. Don't quote me on that though, I could be wrong.
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

TheKiller wrote:What if you include the phpBB version in the footer, so that the users know, that the webmaster cares to update it..
There are a couple of problems with this line of thinking:

1. There may not be any security issues in the old version. For example, 3.0.7-pl1 was released to address an issue with feeds, but if a board does not use feeds it would not be vulnerable to it thus it may stay at 3.0.7.

2. Webmaster may have applied relevant security patches without updating the whole board.

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=36087&p=219252&hil ... er#p219219

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

@callum: i think you are wrong, i made the MOD By just copying the edits just for that, that were in a MOD Which shows most of the forums statistics, which was already in the MODDB.

I said to make it for my board, cut i wasnt sure where it would fit and had other things to do than that :?
Oleg, im not entirely sure what are you saying.

I think it might be an idea on showing the version, only if it is the latest phpbb version.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

I think its a bad idea:
  • Security reasons mentioned above.
  • Footer already has a lot of stuff in it, especially on modded forums.
  • Nobody really cares what version you are running, so why show it?

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Well, Feedback was given. Nevermind. :?