[RFC|Merged] AJAX

These requests for comments/change have lead to an implemented feature that has been successfully merged into the 3.1/Ascraeus branch. Everything listed in this forum will be available in phpBB 3.1.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: [RFC] AJAX

Post by callumacrae »

Oleg wrote:One of the reasons people brought up for using subsilver was because they considered it "lighter" than prosilver.

With eye to that argument I would say don't add ajax to subsilver until someone requests it, and if you do make very sure it impacts performance including perceived performance as little as possible.
How about release it as a modification? I'll be doing it anyway, because I know at least one of my clients with a subsilver2 based board will want the AJAX features.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Since we're trying to move away from subsilver2, I'd rather not add new features like AJAX to it.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

How about suggesting / autocompleting usernames in places like user administration in the ACP?
My blog

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

That would most useful I think.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

Moved to 3.1.

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

I have a small request: whenever you are inserting/replacing data with ajax, please run that data through a function before inserting/replacing. Something like this:

Code: Select all

$.ajax({
  stuff here
  success: function(data, textStatus, jqXHR)
  {
     ... do some stuff to generate "html" variable ...
     if(typeof(phpBBParse) == 'function') html = phpBBParse('post', html);
     $('#last-post-id').after(html);
  }
});
First parameter is a keyword to help identify where code will be used (like 'post' if html code is content of a post, 'confirm' if its confirmation message, 'error' if error message, etc), second parameter is html code.

What is it for? I'm using multiple backgrounds css3 feature in my styles, but IE7/8 don't support it, so I alter html structure in javascript when document structure is loaded adding more nested divs to all blocks to show multiple backgrounds. I'll need to alter structure of any code inserted via javascript too.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Everything will be in the style directory and entirely optional, so style authors can change stuff like that anyway. I can't see the need for this in producer, except for the fact that a lot of people base their styles off prosilver.
Oleg wrote:Moved to 3.1.
Thanks.
My blog

Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

naderman wrote:Since we're trying to move away from subsilver2, I'd rather not add new features like AJAX to it.
IMHO this is the wrong approach. Subsilver 2 is kept for the 3.1.x branch and is officially developed/supported, but not all new 3.1.x features are added to an officially developed/supported style? Even though I hate the fact that ss2 is kept for 3.1.x I do believe that it should be developed in the same fashion as prosilver and thus receive all new 3.1.x features.
Not adding certain features to it is like saying "yes we will keep developing ss2 due to popular request but we won't be adding new features to that style because it is dropped somewhere in the future".
Available on .com
Support Toolkit developer

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

The only reason we still support it, is because so many people use it or rather styles based on it. These would have to add AJAX themselves anyway. We will not ship subsilver2 with 3.1, it will merely be made sure that the upgrade works properly when you use subsilver2. So I think this makes perfect sense.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Nearly done with the pull request. Only things holding me back is language (although I think I can work around that with data attributes), and I need a close icon for the alert box.
My blog