IE6 warning message

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

IE6 warning message

Post by callumacrae »

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p13040542
Raimon wrote:Then there should be a warning message on phpBB on what you are trying to make " The browser you are using is to old please update it to the latest release or use on of the next browsers" so you make people aware that the are using a old browser that don't support all the phpBB features, so the understand that the need to update it, and the see what other browser are available for them.
I'm with this - certainly my AJAX changes won't support IE6 (data attributes), and there are other display problems.

Thoughts?
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Re: IE6 warning message

Post by nickvergessen »

No problems for me with dropping support for IE6,
but I'm totally against the red bar, phpBB should not display messages about the browser, but the board only.
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

igorw

Post by igorw »

nickvergessen wrote:No problems for me with dropping support for IE6,
but I'm totally against the red bar, phpBB should not display messages about the browser, but the board only.
This.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

igorw wrote:
nickvergessen wrote:No problems for me with dropping support for IE6,
This.
This what?

Maybe the browser warning is an ACP option. :D

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

igorw

Post by igorw »

"this" (what nickvergessen said) I agree with.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

We don't support ie6 because very few people use it. Therefore, if we were to implement such a warning very few people would see it.

Ideally, ie6 should be treated as any other browser that does not support whatever features we use via graceful degradation. That is, basic functionality should still work (same as if I was using lynx or links) but fancy stuff would be missing.

My guess is people who are on ie6 today should be aware that they would not be seeing websites in their full glory. Or, if they are truly unaware of the state of the internet, my guess is that warning message won't do much good either.

On a more abstract level, this warning message is basically IE-specific code and we should avoid adding such if we can.

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Oleg wrote:We don't support ie6 because very few people use it. Therefore, if we were to implement such a warning very few people would see it.

Ideally, ie6 should be treated as any other browser that does not support whatever features we use via graceful degradation. That is, basic functionality should still work (same as if I was using lynx or links) but fancy stuff would be missing.

My guess is people who are on ie6 today should be aware that they would not be seeing websites in their full glory. Or, if they are truly unaware of the state of the internet, my guess is that warning message won't do much good either.

On a more abstract level, this warning message is basically IE-specific code and we should avoid adding such if we can.
IE6 has a 10% market share. In countries like the UK (2.4%) and US (1.7%), it's mostly large companies that haven't got the money, or can't see the point in, upgrading. (eg the NHS and the Government in the UK), but in countries like China (30.5%), Korea (16.9%) and India (8.9%), quite a lot of people genuinely don't know about upgrading.
My blog

nickvergessen
Former Team Member

Post by nickvergessen »

For reference, microsoft build a website for the IE6 end: http://www.ie6countdown.com/
Member of the Development-TeamNo Support via PM

Raimon
Former Team Member

Post by Raimon »

When you use such a notice, don't place it below the header but right on the top, so users know right away that it don't belong to the forum.
For example ;

[Warning: about the browser you are using >>]
If you click on >> you get more information, you can use for example a internet browser icon, so people can not get confused by it.
There are several ways to do it nice, for example ie6-upgrade-warning, IE6 update warning: 7 ways to tell your site visitors to upgrade so everything stays in house.
More information; Google

So you can make it that it don't look on a phpBB error message, and that is the purpose of it, since it should not in any way be a phpBB error message, there is no need to scare people with such a red " error" message ;)

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Raimon wrote:When you use such a notice, don't place it below the header but right on the top, so users know right away that it don't belong to the forum.
For example ;

[Warning: about the browser you are using >>]
If you click on >> you get more information, you can use for example a internet browser icon, so people can not get confused by it.
There are several ways to do it nice, for example ie6-upgrade-warning, IE6 update warning: 7 ways to tell your site visitors to upgrade so everything stays in house.
More information; Google

So you can make it that it don't look on a phpBB error message, and that is the purpose of it, since it should not in any way be a phpBB error message, there is no need to scare people with such a red " error" message ;)
I like http://ie6update.com/ :D
My blog