[RFC] Topic Title Prefixes / Subject Prefixes

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
tbackoff

Re: [RFC] Topic Title Prefixes / Subject Prefixes

Post by tbackoff »

Ancyent wrote:A problem solver for your ideea ( because yes you are right it's iritating ) would be for the user to have a checkbox ( Recieve PM when prefix changed ).
I still don't see this as a useful feature. If it's your topic, I'm sure you will notice the prefix changed when you look at it.
Ancyent wrote:1. To the current addon, you cannot set ( PREFIX 1 - [SET AS DEFAULT] ) so that when a person creates a topic he is forced to use a prefix ... or something like that . ( usefull when you want to make a section of the forum for support or a ticket system.
phpBB and it's features should be about user choice. You take that ability away when you set a default prefix that they really don't want on their topic. Leave it set to none. If the user chooses to have a prefix, they can set it themselves.
Ancyent wrote:Add a action to a certein prefix ( Like execution of moderator skills [Lock topic, Move to another topic that is set in the administration] and I think that would be all the moderations that it needs ) you have this option but only when the prefix is changed but I think it would offer more flexibility.
This just makes it more complex than it needs to be. Please read this again:
t_backoff wrote:This wasn't supposed to be an "everything and the kitchen sink" addition, just a simple prefix option.

Ancyent

Post by Ancyent »

The part where you set a default prefix ... it is optional for every forum.. so basicly if you alow it to set a default prefix .. then it selects a default prefix .. else it leaves it empty.

Prefix Change ... when they are like 5000 topics on that forum ... is much easyer to just recieve a PM or email with the link.

Action on a prefix ..
This just makes it more complex than it needs to be
That is the Ideea ... it gives you more options to customize and do the things that you need.

If you implement a new feature then implement so that it's as customizable as posible, or your saving theese things for the next release ... and the one after that .. and so on ...

Instead of working to add new features ... you just work around one thing.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

I'd like to add something. I think the ability for mods / admins to change the prefix "on the fly" could also be useful. For example, populate another dropdown menu in viewtopic with all the prefixes allowed in the forum; then a mod / admin can select a prefix (or a new one), click go, and it's changed. Ideally, the whole system would function / work / look like Erik's Subject Prefix MOD. :D

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I agree that this would be very useful for the majority of people.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

ABDev

Post by ABDev »

Hi,
Imkingdavid's proposal is good. But there is just a thing that is not awesome.
The actual permission system of his MOD is too limited, because if an administrator wants to define a prefix for a group in a forum, and if he wants to define the same prefix for another group in another forum, he cannot.
He will have to create the same prefix just for that specific permission.

So, for QTE, we have decided to extend that system in order to define those particular cases.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

I'm re-visiting this topic to retract this statement.
t_backoff wrote:
Ancyent wrote:1. To the current addon, you cannot set ( PREFIX 1 - [SET AS DEFAULT] ) so that when a person creates a topic he is forced to use a prefix ... or something like that . ( usefull when you want to make a section of the forum for support or a ticket system.
phpBB and it's features should be about user choice. You take that ability away when you set a default prefix that they really don't want on their topic. Leave it set to none. If the user chooses to have a prefix, they can set it themselves.
Focing users to select a prefix per forum would be acceptable (for example, they are required in MODs in Development). I can see how this would be useful in other implementations.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

Like the basic idea of making topic prefixes a built in feature, they would be useful on many boards, in at least some fora.

Permissions system should allow any prefix to be assigned to any group and the same prefix could be used by more than one group.

When creating/editing a forum there should be an option for requires prefix. Don’t like the idea of assigning a default prefix, but not having one would likely cause problems where if the forum requires a prefix but none had been assigned to or created for the forum then users wouldn’t be able to create new topics because they couldn't assign a prefix to them.

What about inheritance? Currently you can copy the permissions from an existing forum to another one, should the prefix permissions and existing prefixes be included, maybe as separate options? You may be creating several fora each requiring the same prefixes, such as, Open and Closed, and want to assign the same permissions to use them in each forum.

It would also be useful if the prefixes were searchable via another field in the search query, so there would be:
Search for keywords:
Search for author:
Search for prefix: (Maybe with a drop-down populated with all the existing tags or only those used in fora the user has permissions to see. A drop-down would be essential if images were allowed as prefixes.)
You could then, for example, find all open topics created by a particular user.

I agree that having multiple moderator tasks, such as automatically locking topics, moving them and sending notification emails, attached to assigning certain tags goes beyond a simple topic prefix system and shouldn't be included at this stage.

tbackoff

Post by tbackoff »

Alright, so it's been a while since I've visited this topic. Oyabun1, you are describing exactly what I was thinking. I still think having a default prefix is a bad idea, but forcing a prefix is fine. If anyone wants to see an example of a near-perfect implementation (of course, on 3.0.x), this MOD implements the features described in this topic. I made small changes to suit my needs, but it's exactly what I had in mind (requiring a prefix in certain forums, allowing prefixes by groups, searching prefixes, etc). I'm not sure how the copy permissions works with this (unable to test), but I would expect that if you allow only certain prefixes in certain forums, and you copy those settings, the prefixes go along with it.

Meis2M Online

Post by Meis2M »

this RFC can come in 3.1 and its better.

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

have not fully read through this but if its based off of the mod then there are a few notes to it.

need to define who can create post with prefixes as well as who can edit them.

also ability to create a prefix that is editable by all groups ie Solved would be useful for standard user to make topic solve but they should not nessecarily be able to create solved topic or change topic to prefix of anything that the administrator/mods do not wish them to

other than that I am 100% behind it as I already do this on forums that I work on via [] IE i make post but put [TYPE] infront to distinguish as formal post
Donations welcome via Paypal Image