What is this forum for?

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
cla1067

Re: What is this forum for?

Post by cla1067 »

I look forward to 4.0 and the hard work that is going to be put into it. I also agree 100% with what jwxie said.

ZIN

Post by ZIN »

Great, this time I will stay close if the development to try if some ideas.

Success!
phpBBrasil.com.br ( Brazil Support )
http://www.phpbbrasil.com.br/

tupeu

Post by tupeu »

naderman wrote:There are some initial ideas up on our wiki. You can find them here: http://wiki.phpbb.com/PhpBB4. Feel free to add stuff to the wiki. If there's something that requires discussion post it on here and we'll put the result of such a discussion on the wiki.
http://wiki.phpbb.com/PhpBB4 is not working!

Creaky

Post by Creaky »

$username

Post by $username »

I'm happy to see this :)
It's great to see the development of phpBB :)

Methen

Post by Methen »

I suppose when they get this one is developed there take and do to phpbb3 what they did to phpbb2
Dump it and with tthe tuff cookies attitude as we are not longer supporting phpbb 3 series!

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

How is that any different than any other software that gets updated? :?

The decision to drop support for phpBB 2 was not done overnight. Users had a long time to do their upgrades before we stopped supporting it. And with the poor security record that 2.0 had it would be irresponsible of both us and the users to continue both supporting and using it.

/a3

Post by /a3 »

AFAIK, 3.1 and 3.2 will be coming before phpBB4. So there's still plenty of life left in phpBB3. ;)
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

Methen

Post by Methen »

DavidIQ wrote:How is that any different than any other software that gets updated? :?

The decision to drop support for phpBB 2 was not done overnight. Users had a long time to do their upgrades before we stopped supporting it. And with the poor security record that 2.0 had it would be irresponsible of both us and the users to continue both supporting and using it.
But it was stated that support ( was going to continue) which it did not
asfar as security issues do you truly believe that you will ever create something that does not have them ?

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Post by Noxwizard »

It was not stated that support would continue indefinitely. No product can be supported forever. When we did decide to drop support, users were given almost 9 months advance notice. This has been long discussed at phpbb.com and is not the purpose of this topic.