My ideas for 4.0 :D

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Teekeo

My ideas for 4.0 :D

Post by Teekeo »

Ok I will be updating this thread with new ideas I come up with for things that'd make 4.0 just dandy.

PM Interface Changes
• Ability to disable avatars, or resize them in PMs (via ACP), since often the profile width is different for threads and PMs
• If one receives a new message, there should be a popup in the bottom right that says "New message from {name}. READ or READ LATER"

• If an uploaded avatar is too big, it should automatically be resized

Sleek design
• Buttons like quote, edit, delete, and PM should only appear when hovering over that post
• Easy image editing (easy to change buttons to have only 1 image, or change while hovering, or change while clicking)
• When clicking on the quick reply button, have the box smoothly slide down instead of suddenly appearing
• Can use rich text editor instead of BBcode (users can select the option from UCP for which to use)
• The profile width stays the same in threads when the board uses % instead of # of pixels.

Category & forum changes
• Display descriptions for the categories (not only the forums)
• Minimize categories
• Ability to click the box instead of the name of the forum
• To separate announcements from stickies, have announcements listed on the index page in each forum box
• Can choose whether to display the original post at the top of the page (regardless of what page of a thread youre on)

Other changes
• Can choose not to display post count, or to change the name of post count ('Posts', 'Messages', etc.)
• Respect/kudos system
• Custom CSS in ACP in designs section
• Easy design builder (can choose colours & images & opacity levels & edges etc.) so people who don't know CSS can build a basic design
• Extra links (allow extra links/navigation to be added at the top of the page so people can make their forum look exactly the same as their website to make the whole thing more fluent)
• In the UCP, have change Avatar & Signature on the first page of UCP since that is the most common thing for people to change
• Video gallery (people can embed videos in on a different page designed entirely for videos)

Darksminky

Re: My ideas for 4.0 :D

Post by Darksminky »

the respect/ Kudos exists, it's called a MOD called "ultimate points", but you can name them whatever you choose, and the ACP theming is arbitrary, and if done wrong, could endanger the board

there are themes in which you can minimize categories, Black Pearl and Rainbow Pearl both (the two are also more difficult to modify, as they have unique templates)

an "easy design builder" might be more hassle than convenience, with unique style templates or themes, the whole system would be thrown off, creating a glitchy appearence, also, that would be a huge undertaking by the development staff. . . .

otherwise, I agree, especially with the avatar resizing

TssCman123

Post by TssCman123 »

I think that phpBB 4 should have built in blogs, an image gallery, and custom pages (basically pages that you can insert your own content, and the header and footer will automatically be there). It would also be a good idea for it to have a built-in wiki, and portal (with forum widgets).

Peppy

Post by Peppy »

Yes, custom stand-alone pages would be great, but I don't agree with blogs, hey man, it's forum or blog? If you require blog, use Wordpress :)
If you require connect Wordpress and phpBB make Mod WP-phpBB which connect some things like login/register/ranks/photos/posts etc...

wehekun

Post by wehekun »

I think that phpBB 4 should use AJAX system 8-)

Ostro

Post by Ostro »

I like these ideas.
What I was thinking of is the possibility for users to change the order of categories on the forum's index. I'd really love to have that in one of my forums.
(If there's some mod for phpbb3, please tell me ;D)

uk_martin

Post by uk_martin »

I’ve often used heavily modded boards and have noticed that many MOD’s don’t actually enhance the boards, but instead, they rectify failings in forward planning by core code writers. As such I’d like to see the incorporation of some MODS as standard that would make the use of phpBB boards more user friendly, and in tune with the modern world.

To this end I’d like to suggest that the following issues could be looked at:

1. Allowing users to select whether they want the mini-profiles in ViewTopic to be on the left or right hand side of the postings.
2. Expanding on Custom User Profile Fields, to allow users to add Youtube, Facebook, Skype (and others, not yet invented) contact information. Just having PM and e-mail is too “retro” to be going forward with. There are MODs that give this functionality at the moment, but doubtless they won’t work in the new codebase, so with some forward planning the functionality can continue without the need for new MODs
3. The “Add User” facility currently missing in the ACP
4. Automatic avatar and image resizing according to Administrator-set parameters in the ACP.
5. SEO Optimisation to take on board all the good work going on here - http://www.phpbb-seo.com/ - e.g. "friendly URL's" etc etc.

Additionally, some other changes please, possibly as option packs or MOD’s:

1. The use of HTML5 is a must.
2. Mobile Phone Friendly CSS’s are a must.
3. Tighter integration with Wordpress.
4. A “point and alter” CSS editor, which can be used for clicking on an element of the page, and allowing for the editing of the CSS that underlies that element on the page. There are Firefox plug-ins which allow for the identification of the CSS code for an element, but how much nicer would it be if phpBB could not only identify the CSS element, (and which CSS file it comes from) but could also edit & save it to a new theme.
5. A WYSIWYG editor please. The next generation of users don’t want stone age interfaces, they want what they are familiar with from Word etc. I don’t care if they are BBCode or Rich Text based, the user experience is what I am interested in, I’ll leave it to coding gurus to battle it out over which method is best.
6. More Social Networking integration. Allowing Youtube, Picassa, Flickr content “natively” in posts would be a big plus. Allowing logging in from Facebook (Yes, there’s a MOD for that at the moment) and broadcasting discussions back to Facebook too (yes, another MOD for that exists too)
7. Preparing for the adoption of mobile blogging such as AudioBoo, Qik or Ustream as methods of contributing to board discussions.
8. Looking at methods for using the phpBB board as a replacement for the “Comments” facility on Wordpress and other blogs.
9. A “Facebook-esque” Portal page, which Administrators can customize to suit their purposes.

Just some thoughts, for what they are worth.

Nfboy

Post by Nfboy »

TssCman123 wrote:I think that phpBB 4 should have built in blogs, an image gallery, and custom pages (basically pages that you can insert your own content, and the header and footer will automatically be there). It would also be a good idea for it to have a built-in wiki, and portal (with forum widgets).
Custom pages / Image Gallery integrated sounds great, It would be very useful :D

uk_martin

Post by uk_martin »

Nfboy wrote:
TssCman123 wrote:I think that phpBB 4 should have built in blogs, an image gallery, and custom pages (basically pages that you can insert your own content, and the header and footer will automatically be there). It would also be a good idea for it to have a built-in wiki, and portal (with forum widgets).
Custom pages / Image Gallery integrated sounds great, It would be very useful :D
Yes, but why re-invent the wheel?

Photo Albums - Coppermine
Blogs - Wordpress

Seamless integration and common themes/styles would be a better way forward IMHO.

Sierron

Post by Sierron »

Teekeo wrote:Ok I will be updating this thread with new ideas I come up with for things that'd make 4.0 just dandy.

PM Interface Changes
• Ability to disable avatars, or resize them in PMs (via ACP), since often the profile width is different for threads and PMs
• If one receives a new message, there should be a popup in the bottom right that says "New message from {name}. READ or READ LATER"

• If an uploaded avatar is too big, it should automatically be resized

Sleek design
• Buttons like quote, edit, delete, and PM should only appear when hovering over that post
• Easy image editing (easy to change buttons to have only 1 image, or change while hovering, or change while clicking) ??
• When clicking on the quick reply button, have the box smoothly slide down instead of suddenly appearing
• Can use rich text editor instead of BBcode (users can select the option from UCP for which to use)
• The profile width stays the same in threads when the board uses % instead of # of pixels.

Category & forum changes
• Display descriptions for the categories (not only the forums)
• Minimize categories
• Ability to click the box instead of the name of the forum
• To separate announcements from stickies, have announcements listed on the index page in each forum box
• Can choose whether to display the original post at the top of the page (regardless of what page of a thread youre on)

Other changes
• Can choose not to display post count, or to change the name of post count ('Posts', 'Messages', etc.)
• Respect/kudos system
• Custom CSS in ACP in designs section
• Easy design builder (can choose colours & images & opacity levels & edges etc.) so people who don't know CSS can build a basic design
• Extra links (allow extra links/navigation to be added at the top of the page so people can make their forum look exactly the same as their website to make the whole thing more fluent)
• In the UCP, have change Avatar & Signature on the first page of UCP since that is the most common thing for people to change
• Video gallery (people can embed videos in on a different page designed entirely for videos)
Green is good.
Normal font I guess it could be or not added.
Red is NO.
uk_martin wrote:2. Expanding on Custom User Profile Fields, to allow users to add Youtube, Facebook, Skype (and others, not yet invented) contact information. Just having PM and e-mail is too “retro” to be going forward with. There are MODs that give this functionality at the moment, but doubtless they won’t work in the new codebase, so with some forward planning the functionality can continue without the need for new MODs
And which one should be added? Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Dailymotion, google, myspace, etc. etc. there are sooo many...
uk_martin wrote:3. The “Add User” facility currently missing in the ACP
1+
uk_martin wrote:4. Automatic avatar and image resizing according to Administrator-set parameters in the ACP.
1+
uk_martin wrote:5. SEO Optimisation to take on board all the good work going on here - http://www.phpbb-seo.com/ - e.g. "friendly URL's" etc etc.
Not everyone need it. Not everyone can use mod_rewrite. Not everyone is interested in this. The overall benefit is doubtful.
uk_martin wrote:1. The use of HTML5 is a must.
Not until 2020 or something.
uk_martin wrote:2. Mobile Phone Friendly CSS’s are a must.
Meh.
uk_martin wrote:3. Tighter integration with Wordpress.
Any reason for it? There is a mod for it which does all that is needed to be put together. What do you want more and why? Why not using other blog systems over wordpress?
uk_martin wrote:5. A WYSIWYG editor please. The next generation of users don’t want stone age interfaces, they want what they are familiar with from Word etc. I don’t care if they are BBCode or Rich Text based, the user experience is what I am interested in, I’ll leave it to coding gurus to battle it out over which method is best.
uk_martin wrote:6. More Social Networking integration. Allowing Youtube, Picassa, Flickr content “natively” in posts would be a big plus. Allowing logging in from Facebook (Yes, there’s a MOD for that at the moment) and broadcasting discussions back to Facebook too (yes, another MOD for that exists too)
God no.
uk_martin wrote:7. Preparing for the adoption of mobile blogging such as AudioBoo, Qik or Ustream as methods of contributing to board discussions.
Not that I would care about that. How many percent of forums outside would need that anyways?
uk_martin wrote:9. A “Facebook-esque” Portal page, which Administrators can customize to suit their purposes.
D: No, please no. Isn't facebook enough for you? There doesn't need to be million facebook looking forums outside.
Nfboy wrote:Custom pages / Image Gallery integrated sounds great, It would be very useful
uk_martin wrote:Yes, but why re-invent the wheel?Photo Albums - CoppermineBlogs - WordpressSeamless integration and common themes/styles would be a better way forward IMHO.