Additions to the rules & regulations announcement

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Oleg

Additions to the rules & regulations announcement

Post by Oleg »

Hi all,

I think the Rules and Regulations sticky can be augmented with general information about what belongs in area51 and to provide direction for new members. To that end I propose the following additions:

Purpose
  • The purpose of area51 development board is to discuss and collaborate on the development of phpBB itself. Topics pertaining solely to the following items should not be posted on area51:
    Of course, topics pertaining how to change phpBB itself to make it easier to use and modify belong here on area51.
What goes where
  • phpBB development occurs on multiple branches in parallel. The wiki page tbd has the breakdown. Please follow these guidelines when deciding which forum to post in:
    • If you found a bug in a released version of phpBB, file it in the tracker. Please search for an existing bug report first.
    • If you want to request a feature, search the tracker and check 3.1 status topic to see if your feature is already on the roadmap. If your feature already has a topic or a ticket, continue there; otherwise (you are proposing a brand new feature that was never discussed before) create a new topic in 3.2 discussion or 3.2 RFC and patch forum depending on the detail level of your proposal.
    • If you have a patch you want to submit for inclusion into phpBB, file a ticket in the tracker for the issue/enhancement (if there is not already one) and attach/link your patch to the ticket.
IRC channel
  • phpBB developers gather in #phpbb-coding channel on freenode. The IRC channel is sometimes quiet and sometimes lively. Some developers monitor the channel even when they do not participate. Please see here for instructions on joining the IRC channel.
Contributing
  • phpBB welcomes all contributions, but those contributions which follow the development team's guidelines are more likely to be accepted, or accepted quicker. Please take a moment to review:
This will be moved to the wiki:
  • phpBB development occurs on multiple branches in parallel. Currently we have the following branches:
    • 3.0 "Olympus" is in maintenance mode. Ideally only bugfixes are to be applied to 3.0.x branch. Occasionally new features are allowed if they are small and do not affect backwards compatibility. Really we want new development to happen in subsequent major releases (3.1, 3.2, etc.).
    • 3.1 "Ascraeus" is the focus of new development. New features currently being worked on will go into 3.1. Also, 3.1 is now feature frozen; new features not on that list will generally have to wait until 3.2, with exception of features that are needed for already accepted features. The current status of 3.1 is here.
    • 3.2 "Arsia" will be the next feature release. New features that are not already accepted into 3.1 should be proposed for 3.2.
What do you think?

Ger

Re: Additions to the rules & regulations announcement

Post by Ger »

I think (nn-)++;
;)
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

I agree but maybe also update the rules and regulations topic to include how to post RFCs?

And maybe also update the rules and regulations topic to include how to post RFCs?
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I expanded what goes where section and added the irc channel section.

I will work on a contribution guidelines/workflow section once the wiki comes back to us.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Looks perfect to me.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

I cut down the what goes where section to be more of a guide and less of an explanation, which I will move to the wiki. Also I reworded the irc section and added the contributing section. I'm not sure if contributing should be in rules and regulations; for now I will try to make it short. I think the best approach may be to link to the "get involved" page on the website or the wiki instead.

igorw

Post by igorw »

Thumbs up. :)