phpBB version in footer

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Meis2M

phpBB version in footer

Post by Meis2M »

Hi
i have a Suggestion !!
a way to show phpBB version in styles footer. :D

ameeck

Re: phpBB version in footer

Post by ameeck »

A version number used to be included in the footers.

The potential danger is that if an exploit is known for a specific phpBB version, a simple Google search for "Powered by phpBB 3.0.x" will reveal many of the vulnerable boards. This actually happened in the past used when phpBB2 vulnerabilities existed.

There is also no reason to show it to users, it's a worthless information for them as well as it's none of their businesses.
Please think before you post.

igorw

Post by igorw »

We don't want to clutter the footer even more. In fact we have removed the years from the footer for 3.0.9: http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-9859

MartinTruckenbrodt

Post by MartinTruckenbrodt »

Hello Meis2M,
as I remember there have been a MOD for phpBB2. I think I was the author for this MOD. ;)

I understand your point. I think that hackers always will try all security holes for all phpBB versions. I think that a displayed phpBB version will not prevent their activities. They know that the values can been changed manually.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

It has been an issue in the past. The version number will not return.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello Nils,
it's not important.

Bye Martin
Advanced Block MOD 1.1.1 has been released! - Prevent spam on your phpBB3 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists! - My MODs

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

MartinTruckenbrodt wrote:Hello Nils,
it's not important.

Bye Martin
what means its not important ? why u say? :x
it was a Suggestion. u should not say not important . every thing i say is important.

MartinTruckenbrodt

Hello Meis2M,
it's not important just for me.

Bye Martin

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

igorw wrote:We don't want to clutter the footer even more...
Agreed :idea:

Praqoon

Post by Praqoon »

doesn't cluttering the footer all depend on what you have displayed in the footer?