WYSIWYG editor

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Meis2M

Re: WYSIWYG editor

Post by Meis2M »

DavidIQ wrote:3.1 - not a chance
3.2 - maybe...if you create an RFC

And why would you NOT want to release your MOD for 3.0.8? I mean how do you expect to get it working correctly for everyone and that it's bug free? :?
Nelsaidi wrote:
Meis2M wrote:finally my work is done.
i complete my project means: Tinymce WYSIWYG for phpBB its working very good with phpBB 3.0.8.
for some reason i dont want to publish in phpbb.com but i can give it to development team if wants to add in phpBB ( 3.1 or 3.2 ). :D
http://startrekguide.com/community/view ... 6&start=60

??
exactly..
thank u Nelsaidi.
it is better my friend Roger publish it ( Krupski ). anyway i change some codes and i finished earlier than Roger. and one thing : my english is not good and i cant answer the question of users very good so it is possible my mod will ABD.so we waiting for Roger working and i published my project last week only for persian users. u can test this editor in here

http://www.zohall.com/silver
test

thank U Meis@M

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

My post was you wont submit it because its not you who made it, but whatever

Regardless as to whoever made it ...
it is prone to XSS and you allow pretty much unfiltered HTML to be posted.

Jorup16

Post by Jorup16 »

Hi, sorry but I do not understand, the WYSIWYG MOD released for the 3.0.8 version or will have to wait for version 3.1.0 or 3.2.0?

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

Jorup16 wrote:Hi, sorry but I do not understand, the WYSIWYG MOD released for the 3.0.8 version or will have to wait for version 3.1.0 or 3.2.0?
maybe in 3.2 ;)

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

Meis2M wrote:maybe in 3.2 ;)
Don't count on your version being in it ;)

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

if html command supporting on posting and view messaging i can help to add a wysiwyg editor.
converting html to bbcode on phpbb3 is very very difficult. ;)

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

As I said, don't count on it being what you've been working on. This "I did it but am not sharing" attitude is not exactly the type of collaboration effort or contribution we're looking for. :roll: This is also brings reason for alarm:
Nelsaidi wrote:it is prone to XSS and you allow pretty much unfiltered HTML to be posted.
No way we'd have that in phpBB...

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

1- i told my english not good and cant support my mod.
2- my mod working very well when html is active in posting and some people told me html has security problem.
3- i working to convert html to bbcode and bbcode to html.
4- when i am done working on it i will publish and release it somewhere else not phpbb.com because it seems i have some enemies on that board and my user in Registered users put on moderation queue Groups so i cant send any post. i sent a topic for helping and not confirmed from moderator for viewing. so decided to sent private message for 2 or 3 member of mod team but I did not receive any message.
5- No matter u and your friend use my mod in phpbb package or not because i will use it to my phpbb package.
6- it is very funny after about 10 years the MODS team or development team cant create a WYSIWYG editor. I read in university Civil Engineering and I do not know anything programming but after 3 week with testing codes i successful adding a WYSIWYG editor and worked very well with your package.
7- in the end sorry for my engli sh and good luck.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

Not trying to be rude or anything, but you didnt make the WYSIWYG editor (the tinyMCE team did) you simply implemented it into phpBB, and I'm pretty sure the phpBB team too could have done it in 3 weeks if they wanted to - but software development has abit more to it that "ok lets do this", studying civil engineering you'd know you cant overnight say "i want this building here and lets start tomorrow", you have to ensure the product/building is wanted, has a purpose, doesnt impact the the existing infrastructure, you have sufficent resource to make it happen, etc etc. Remember there are millions of users of phpBB [people who use forums, this is an estimateion but the number IS large], your view is just one of these, so is mine - the views of the majority have to be considered. One issue i had when looking at your board is it took a few seconds to actually load, this isnt a good thing and something you can improve on. With a WYSIWYG editor, some problems are faced, such as dealing with custom BBCode - for it to be truly what you see is what you get, custom BBCodes, both hardcoded (fancy PHP codes) and database (acp) added, and that is what i feel is the biggest issue with this.

Reading through the remained of this thread there is mixed opinions but generally a yes WYSIWYG editor would be good, would keep up to pace with other forum software and *could* improve how its used.

Another issue is the phpBB team is entirely volunteer based, the main development team have only limited time to devote to the project, and thus what they devote it to is important, for example there is no point spending months developing and perfecting a feature if it wont be used.

If you want it included in phpBB, the first step (i think) would be getting it as a phpBB mod and used by many people, that would mean it has no bugs, people want it and people like it. Saying people "hate" you is no reason to ignore it, this is the internet, there will be people that love you and people that hate you, dont let them interefere with what you want to do. You want to make it a mod, make it.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

If I could easily speak English , I will answer your post and clear many problems. forget it ;)