Changing forum skins/styles/themes

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
WHISPERS

Changing forum skins/styles/themes

Post by WHISPERS »

I am sorry if this is in the wrong category or improperly posted.....i have done a search for FTP style upload, changing styles, uploading themes, changing themes, switching styles, switching forum skins and have not found anything that is in the same arena as my problem. I do apologize upfront as i am sure it is in the archives somewhere i just cant find it.

However, with the help of some other posts I did find alot of help to get me to this particular struggle point. Until 2 days ago I had never heard of FTP, winzip, or phpBB so I am a fast learner but I have met my match.

In any event here is my issue. A week ago I used one click install of phpBB through my control panel at fatcow.com to add a forum to my website. I got the basic silver theme and proceeded to add my categories, topics, permissions and all that. Took m a while but finally got it down. Then I came across this style http://www.themesbase.com/preview/?preview=169 which I downloaded as a winzip file and unzipped it to my desktop so I could find it later. After reading a few posts about how to change styles and how to use FTP I downloaded Firefox and FireFTP. Seemed easy enough just highlight the file and click the arrow and it uploads it on its own.

However this is where my problem lies. The style "Chronicle" that I want has 161 files and i dont know where to upload them too or what to overwrite when I upload them. My first attempt using FireFTP I highlighted chronicles on my side and then clicked forum on my server side and uploaded all 161 files into the forum folder. I then went into the forum admin and tried finding out how to switch to that skin/style and found nothing labeled Chronicle. So then I deleted everything that had the date 8-8-2010 in my forum folder as that was the date that I uploaded the skin. In doing so I deleted something I wasnt supposed because now I dont even have the basic forum model when I go to my forum http://www.aowanders.com/forum i get a white page that has this in the upper left hand corner..../cache/ is NOT writable.

So I am guessing I will have to uninstall and reinstall phpbb from my control panel Install central which is only 4 clicks, but after I do that (unless there is antoher way to fix what I have already messed up) how do I know which files to upload and where do I upload them too? Which file do they go in so that I can have this skin? Do I delete or overwrite any files?/

For this skin/style it is called Chronicles and in that folder these are all the files that I have to choose from to upload

admin
images
agreement.tpl
bbcode.tpl
Chronciles
Chronciles.cfg
conffirm_body.tpl
error_body.tpl
faq_body.tpl
groupcp_info_body.tpl
groupcp_pending_info.tpl
groupcp_user_body.tpl
index
index_body.tpl
INSTALL
install.tpl
jumpbox.tpl
login_body.tol
memberlist_body.tpl
message_body.tpl
modcp_body.tpl
modcp_move.tpl
modcp_split.tpl
modcp_viewip.tpl
overall_footer.tpl
overall_header.tpl
posting_body.tpl
posting_poll_body.tpl
posting_preview.tpl
posting_smilies.tpl
posting_topic_review.tpl
privmsgs_body.tpl
privatemsgs_popup.tpl
privmsgs_preview.tpl
privmsgs_read_body.tpl
profile_add_body.tpl
profile_avatar_gallery.tpl
profile_send_email.tpl
profile_send_pass.tpl
profile_view_body.tpl
search_body.tpl
search_results_posts.tpl
search_results_topics.tpl
search_username.tpl
simple_footer.tpl
simple_heard.tpl
them_info.cfg
viewforum_body.tpl
viewonline_body.tpl
viewtopic_body.tpl
viewtopic_poll_ballot.tpl
viewtopic_poll_result.tpl
template.cfg

and in FIreFTP when I click Forum I can choose to upload these files to .....

Adm
docs
download
files
includes
install_old
language
store
styles

and each folder has multiple subfolders as well

in the file called styles I have 2 more folders

prosilver
subsilver2

in prosilver there are 3 more folders
imageset-->en
template
theme-->images

in subsilver2 again i have 3 more folders
imageset --->en
template--->admin-----images----->lang_english
theme----->images

Obviously I am not a computer programmer or know all the right lingo but hopefully I laid it out well enough that you can understand my issue i just want to be able to have my forum displayed in the Chronicles style instead of the prosilver and i just dont knwo which file to upload where.

Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. thank you

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader

Re: Changing forum skins/styles/themes

Post by Noxwizard »

Support for phpBB is given at phpbb.com and not here at Area51. Also, that style is for phpBB2 and not phpBB3.