[RFC|Rejected] Removal of subsilver2

These RFCs were either rejected or have been replaced by an alternative proposal. They will not be included in phpBB.
Nelsaidi

Re: [RFC|Accepted] Removal of subsilver2

Post by Nelsaidi »

And will it still be supported for 3.2?

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

Nelsaidi wrote:And will it still be supported for 3.2?
Probably not.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I'd say it's too early to tell either way, let's make a decision once the time comes. We should however make clear this is an option when announcing the change for 3.1.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

I think a lot of people don't like prosilver because of the user data being on the right side in topics. When I first upgraded my forum, many of our users complained about it. If there was a switch in the ACP and it was defaulted to the left on installation, I think many more people would use prosilver.

It was a nice idea, but virtually every forum uses the left side and that is what people expect.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

BondGamer wrote:I think a lot of people don't like prosilver because of the user data being on the right side in topics. When I first upgraded my forum, many of our users complained about it. If there was a switch in the ACP and it was defaulted to the left on installation, I think many more people would use prosilver.
It would be strange to have an option for this in the ACP since not every style offers the option. In some styles, it wouldn't work at all. I am all for better UI, but that's actually what we attempted with listing the author details on the right (so that the important stuff is right where your eyes look). I think people would like it if the gave it a chance.

In any case, it's really easy to change: Knowledge Base - Prosilver: Profiles on Left
onehundredandtwo wrote:Just in reply to naderman's post, the fact is, prosilver is semantically better than subsilver2. Tables should not be used for layout - only for, well, tables.
That is why I am in favour of getting rid of subsilver2. ;)
That's a good reason not to use subsilver, but a bad reason to remove it. Fact is, we shipped subsilver2 with 3.0 and people used it. We are not in the business of screwing our users for utilizing something that was included in the product.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

Marshalrusty wrote:In any case, it's really easy to change: Knowledge Base - Prosilver: Profiles on Left
That is definitely not an easy change. Doing code edits is tricky for some/many people.

If we are talking about what the majority wants, they want topic data on the left. If it can't be made an option then perhaps it should be switched.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

Marshalrusty wrote:It would be strange to have an option for this in the ACP since not every style offers the option. In some styles, it wouldn't work at all. I am all for better UI, but that's actually what we attempted with listing the author details on the right (so that the important stuff is right where your eyes look). I think people would like it if the gave it a chance.
But the concept of style specific configuration would provide this option for example.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

ToonArmy wrote:But the concept of style specific configuration would provide this option for example.
Indeed, that's a pretty good idea actually.
BondGamer wrote:That is definitely not an easy change. Doing code edits is tricky for some/many people.

If we are talking about what the majority wants, they want topic data on the left. If it can't be made an option then perhaps it should be switched.
Well, it could definitely be easier, but making a few file edits (with exact instructions) should not be a problem for most users. Remember, phpBB is an opensource project and we encourage users to jump right in and play with the code (that's how I learned, for example). This is especially true for style customization (since that will always have to be done by hand, regardless of whether there's a package manager and hooks system for MODs)

Where are you getting the statistic that most people want it on the left? I have set up hundreds of phpBB boards for clients and only a handful have asked for this change. Most are perfectly happy with it as-is.

Gaw

Post by Gaw »

Marshalrusty wrote:I am all for better UI, but that's actually what we attempted with listing the author details on the right (so that the important stuff is right where your eyes look). I think people would like it if the gave it a chance.
Actually, the first thing I want to know when having a conversation (online messenger, chat, real life, forum, phone) is who am I talking to. Sure, there is a small nickname on top of the post, but avatar is the thing that helps to identify that person. Dunno how it is for others, but I read from left to right and I just need to know who is the post author before I read it.

I'm not having any problems with a small style edit, so I'm not really requesting anything for myself. Profile info on the left just makes more sense to me.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Gaw wrote:
Actually, the first thing I want to know when having a conversation (online messenger, chat, real life, forum, phone) is who am I talking to. Sure, there is a small nickname on top of the post, but avatar is the thing that helps to identify that person. Dunno how it is for others, but I read from left to right and I just need to know who is the post author before I read it.

I'm not having any problems with a small style edit, so I'm not really requesting anything for myself. Profile info on the left just makes more sense to me.
Perhaps making a option in the UCP to let the user decide... To me the conversation is more important than the person, but then again it's just a matter of personal opinion and I think loads of ppl have different opinions about it.. But offering them a option to choose from will probably eliminate the problem. Don't know if it's a major problem to write...
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it