Automatic updater

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
Stoker

Automatic updater

Post by Stoker »

Hello,

I was wondering if it would be a good idea, and possible, to make some improvements to the automatic updater.
I would like the opportunity to chose which edits to add to a file.

Lets say that there are 4 edits of the includes/functions.php
I want to accept the first 3 edits, but not number 4 because it conflicts with a modification.

Ger

Re: Automatic updater

Post by Ger »

Basically I think it's a good idea, I've stumbled on this several times with my modded boards. However I'm afraid this will become too complicated for the average user. With the current updater I'm already frequently asked to help people update because they think it's too hard for them. When implementing something like this I think one should have the option for "advanced" and "simple" update.

On the other hand: As I understand it correctly 3.2 will be less edited with MODs because of the hook system. There will be much less need for file edits, so I'm not sure implementing a more complicated updater will be worth the effort.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the whole point of the update is to update. what would you get to choose what edits to make?

you have to figure out how to make those edits so that your MODs still work, but you still have to make them in order to be updated.

robert

Stoker

Post by Stoker »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:the whole point of the update is to update. what would you get to choose what edits to make?

you have to figure out how to make those edits so that your MODs still work, but you still have to make them in order to be updated.
Some times there will be conflicts in the codelines.'
Some times existing code is improved and better than update code.

But I guess it would be doing too much for something that is not that important :)

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

an ability to connecting to phpBB Customisation Database for auto update ... its good idea :D

my Suggestion about phpBB Customisation Database is here
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=33651

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I would like to see an auto updater for MODs.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog