[RFC] Javascript password protection

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Javascript password protection

Post by DavidIQ »

Maybe as an option during setup. Most sites don't have a valid SSL certificate or don't have one at all so the user would end up on an error page or get some error from the browser stating that the certificate is not valid, both of which would drive potential new users away.

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

And means the many other boards without access to SSL dont benefit from the extra layer of security

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

That is entirely unrelated. This proposal is about adding extra protection to passwords sent over http in plaintext. Meaning on sites that do not use SSL.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

FeyFre wrote:3. What about CLDC devices? Will they have enough resources to perform encryption? Native browsers of mobile devices, Opera-mini, Fennec, etc etc etc? (For instance: my Nokia6233 native browser can browse phpbb forums on standard styles, and it is JavaScript-enabled, but I not sure it have enough resource to perform complex encryption algorithm).
MicroB, the Maemo browser using Gecko, on my N900 processes a > 20 character password instantaneously.
Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

FeyFre

Post by FeyFre »

ToonArmy wrote:MicroB, the Maemo browser using Gecko, on my N900 processes a > 20 character password instantaneously.
Maemo is Linux(or Linux based, but it does not matter). If device has enough power(and memory) to run Linux(I do not want start distro-holywar, but Debian is not the best choice for embedded solutions IMHO), then it probably will be enough powerful to run most of crypto algorithms.
(Since I have overheated once my Nokia 6610's CPU using simple SIN function, so I'm not sure I want retry similar experiment on other devices. Bad experience)

It will be perfect, if implementation will be able to autodetect such clients.