beter warning systeem(Warning groups..)

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
demon326

beter warning systeem(Warning groups..)

Post by demon326 »

Hello all,

I'm going straight to the point, this because my English is not that good to explain it in "great words" ( :lol:)... Anyway, lets start! On this moment phpbb 3.0.x has a good warning system, but it really lacks complexity, you can give users warns for what ever reason you can think off, you can also define when the amount of days it expires, but those features are really "simple", there are some mods out that enhance the current warning systeem, mods like "Warning reasons, ban by number of warnings,.." but there just mods, and they still don't have the 'freedom" of the Vbb infraction system, what i am trying to says is that the current system lacks the "warning groups" feature.

Lets say that a user is doing spam on youre board, then you warn him with the reason "Spaming", to the reason there are points attacht, for this lets say 10 warn points that can expire after the time set, it be years, months,days, hours or never.. when the user reaches the limit off, lets say 30 points he gets a ban, if he has lets say 40 points, he gets a permban..

i hope this is somewhat clear, but to give you some more insight about the system, i recommend to read the block of text below that comes from the Vbb documentation manual:
The User Infraction system is designed to automate the management of misbehaving users.

The first step in the system is the creation of Infraction Levels. These levels will vary based on the content of your forum and the scale of the system that you wish to create. You can create just a few levels or can get very detailed with many levels covering a myriad of forum infractions.

When creating levels, keep in mind a point total at which you wish to start penalizing users by taking away permissions. If you envision taking away a certain permission when a user accumulates 10 infraction points then you need to consider how many points will be given for each infraction and how quickly the user can get to 10 points.

Each infraction level has an expiration time. When the infraction expires, the associated points are removed from the user's point total and the user's infraction groups are recalculated.

Infraction levels can also be allowed to be given as warnings. A warning does not add any infraction points to the user's point total. Warnings serve as a method to remind user's of your forum's rules and encourage them to be followed without awarding infraction points. Moderators have the ability to give an infraction or a warning for those levels that have the warning ability enabled. Moderators will be forced to send a message to the user that details why the infraction is being given. This message will use the Private Messaging System if it is enabled. Otherwise an email will be sent if your forum has Email enabled. At the same time, a new thread for discussion of the infraction will be created in a pre-determined forum. This forum is setup in the vBulletin Options > User Infractions Options section.

There are two methods in which you may penalize users. The first method is utilizing infraction groups to gradually remove permissions.

Normal permissions work by combining all of a user's usergroup permissions and granting a permission for any that have a yes. Infraction group permissions work in the reverse as all infraction group permissions are combined and any permission with a No is taken from the user. You should set up your infraction usergroups (in the Usergroup Manager) by setting all permissions to Yes and then setting those that you wish to take away to No.

Any permissions set to No will effect all forums. If you only wish to penalize a user in certain forums, set all permissions to Yes and then set up custom permissions at Usergroups > Forum Permissions for the forum in question using the infraction group.

A user can have multiple infraction groups as they will gain all groups that apply to their primary usergroupid and accumulated points.

The second method by which you may penalize users is by setting up automatic bans. You may set up bans that only apply to specific usergroups as well as apply to all users. Bans may be triggered either by points or by the number of infractions that the user has received. An example setup would be to ban a user for one week for receiving their third infraction and then banning them permanently for receiving their sixth infraction.

Infraction groups and automatic bans may be utilized at the same time but managing a system utilizing both can be tricky.

Navigate to User Infractions > User Infraction Manager to view your current infraction levels, groups and bans. If you have none set up, you can easily add either from this screen.
If this is a feature thats to big for 3.1.x it no problem, but i would be nice if this would make it in to the core, it doesn't need to carry the same name, but it's a nice feature ;)

Nelsaidi

Re: beter warning systeem(Warning groups..)

Post by Nelsaidi »

Agreed, the phpBB Warning system at this stage is useful but for from convinent, and personally i hate it :/ - However, I use it because i have no choice (not implying its crap, personal preference)

demon326

Post by demon326 »

Nelsaidi wrote:Agreed, the phpBB Warning system at this stage is useful but for from convinent, and personally i hate it :/ - However, I use it because i have no choice (not implying its crap, personal preference)
idd, it's good for simpel and "little" boards, but when your board gets bigger the current warning system is failing...., the system i propose does a lot of the work auto, without moderator actions, like banning them, and unban them again after the periodes...

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I definately agree with the "ban on x warnings" being built in, but I think the points system is just complex and confusing.

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Nelsaidi

Post by Nelsaidi »

There should be a way to remove warnings, and the a warning should be a warning, infractions or something else.

For example if someone breaks a rule, you issue a warning to let them know theyve broken the rule, you may or may not want this to contribute to the overall user warning count. Etc etc.

Its not something thats absolutely required at this stage since boards that need it have adapted, but would be useful to have none the less

demon326

Post by demon326 »

Nelsaidi wrote:There should be a way to remove warnings, and the a warning should be a warning, infractions or something else.

For example if someone breaks a rule, you issue a warning to let them know theyve broken the rule, you may or may not want this to contribute to the overall user warning count. Etc etc.

Its not something thats absolutely required at this stage since boards that need it have adapted, but would be useful to have none the less
that's exact the thing i posted in the begin post :)

Christy

Post by Christy »

I agree with your suggestion. I think the vB system is set up very well and having something similar to it with a built in automatic ban function is fine. I know people say "you don't need this if you have a good community or good management over the board" but if you are running a forum based on a Free Online Video game and you have thousands of users who are reckless and don't follow the rules using the current warning system isn't efficient. Something like the vB system would be a very nice thing.

demon326

Post by demon326 »

Christy wrote:I agree with your suggestion. I think the vB system is set up very well and having something similar to it with a built in automatic ban function is fine. I know people say "you don't need this if you have a good community or good management over the board" but if you are running a forum based on a Free Online Video game and you have thousands of users who are reckless and don't follow the rules using the current warning system isn't efficient. Something like the vB system would be a very nice thing.
Wel, it looks like it won't be in the core, maybe we should wait for the plugin system and request this kind of mod again....

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

3.1 is now feature frozen, if anything it would have to wait for 3.2 (it is probably a good idea for something like this however).

If you would like me to I can move the topic to 3.2 discussion.

demon326

Post by demon326 »

EXreaction wrote:3.1 is now feature frozen, if anything it would have to wait for 3.2 (it is probably a good idea for something like this however).

If you would like me to I can move the topic to 3.2 discussion.
I know it's feature frozen now, but your free to move it to the 3.2 discussion, it's worth a shot ;)