Espcially Mod authors could profit oft extended classes:
For example we have our normal user class
- Code: Select all
public function do_something($property)
//some normal phpBB
But in the normal phpBB you just use another class in a separate file. This class is empty by default and extends the normal phpBB User class. In that way modders could add a lot of functionality without touching the phpBB Core
- Code: Select all
class user extends user_general
public function do_something($property, $other_property)
//here we overwrite the general function
public function do_something_else($property)
On the other hand it would be quite cool to have more framework functions eg: user::load_by_id(), user::load_by_username() or something like that...
2. A more complex permissions System.
I really love the permissions of phpBB. But I miss more detailed options... Not just "allowed" and "not allowed" permissions. There is a lot of suff in the general posting config that simply doesn't belong there (time limits, max characters, etc.). Imo all this stuff should be managable via permissions.
3. better user <=> group management
I was really happy about the "Newly registered users" group. It would be cool if you could extend that in a general way. So that you could define certain conditions for a group Membership. Example
- Every User with < 20 Post => automatically in group "Newly registered users"
- Every User with > 1000 Post => automatically in group "Professional users"
- Every User with language "de" => automatically in group "English users" (so you could manage a multilingual board)
4. A "Recycled" Forum
I was a Moderator in a lot of boards. Every board has a hidden garbage forum for "deleted" topics. It would be REALLY cool if you could jsut click on the delete button and the post/topic will be moved into that garbage forum, instead of deleting it.
5. Consequently ban user
I often have the problem that I want to delete/ban users without deleting the whole account. If I delete the account I will loose IP-data and email addresses and can't prevent them to register again with the same data. But if I just "ban" them, some board fuctionality still works. For example subscribtions, PNs or email. And they still are in the users list. So my workflow looks like that:
1. ban user
2. put user into a "banned user" group (where permissions for PN and stuff like that are switched of)
3. switching off all the notify-options in his profile
I would be VERY happy if I could do that just with one click on "ban" so that a banned user wont receive PNs, notifications and stuff like that and is REALLY banned.
Since I use phpBB as a framework for almost all website I produce it would be cool if there would be some basic Ajax classes for web 2.0 maybe you don't need to reinvent the wheel and just implement an existing framwork like (e.g. Xajax is very slight andy easy to combine with phpBB)
Some tiny stuff
- language switch for guests
- should be possible to deactivate some safety issues, like additional login box for ACP etc.
- Language Switch for guest_users
- automatic DST switch
- a link to the user profile in the ACP
- combining user_activation and admin_activation
- Standard-Settings for search and UCP (e.g. topic notification switched on by default)
- an option to merge two different users (just some lines of sql).
- searchable PMs
- a "deregister" function in the UCP, for useres to delete or ban (see 5.) their account
- Editable "terms and condition": a terms page, every user has to accept if something has changed.
- Style: Template-Vars in Includes (eg <!-- INCLUDE forum_row.FILE_NAME--> )
- using namespaces for phpBB instances (makes it easier to combine phpBB with other frameworks)
- logging the IPs of a user (not just of the post)