[RFC] Simplify permission pages in ACP

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
simpleton

[RFC] Simplify permission pages in ACP

Post by simpleton »

There are too many ways to navigate permissions in the ACP, and they could be greatly consolidated into fewer pages. For global permissions, there are 'User Permissions', 'Group Permissions', 'Administrators', and 'Global Moderators', all could be consolidated under one link. This link 'Global Permissions' would go to a page where you can select users and groups (such as after selecting Administrators or Global Moderators Link, then after selecting to edit permissions, go to a page where you can select the type of permissions being edited and applied: user, global moderator, or admin, (such as after selecting a user from the User Permissions or a group from the Group Permissions links)

Currently, we have this:

User permissions -> Select user -> Edit permissions (user, global moderator, admin)
Group permissions -> Select group -> Edit permissions (user, global moderator, admin)
Administrators -> Select users/groups -> Edit permissions (admin only)
Global moderators -> Select users/groups -> Edit permissions (global moderator only)

This can be simplified to:

Global permissions -> Select users or groups -> Edit permissions (user, global moderator, admin)

The same is true of forum permissions. Currently there are:

Forum permissions -> Select forums -> Select users/groups -> Edit permission (forum permissions only)
Forum moderators -> Select forums -> Select users/groups -> Edit permission (forum moderator permissions only)
User forum permissions -> Select user -> Select forums -> Edit permissions (forum/forum moderator)
Group forum permissions -> Select group -> Select forums -> Edit permissions (forum/forum moderator)

Forum based permissions -> Select forums -> Select users/groups -> Edit permissions (forum and forum moderator permissions)
Last edited by ToonArmy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ACM -> ACP

EXreaction

Re: [RFC] Simplify permission pages in ACM

Post by EXreaction »

Maybe something more like the view user-based permissions page?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: [RFC] Simplify permission pages in ACP

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Yes, I would agree. The link titles seem to cause quite a bit of confusion on the permissions tab because they don't sound (and really are not) distinct.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Jhong

Post by Jhong »

I agree on getting rid of all the redundant routes through to essentially the same thing.

In addition, I have plenty of users who also overlook the administrator/global moderator/user permissions drop-down at the top of the screen on the assign permissions page.

Also you have a naming collision (in terms of the English language at least) -- "moderator permissions" are permissions you can apply to a global moderator, who may or may not have those permissions. It is not very intuitive for new users.

I think a more intuitive layout would be a split screen, with all permissions on the left (all visible, grouped by type -- maybe in a tree layout), and specific users or groups on the right. They would be draggable (e.g. using jQuery) that you could then drag over onto users and groups.

The UI would be fairly straightforward to pull off -- I could code up an example. Will you have jQuery available in the phpBB3 ACP (or are you considering it?)

In terms of naming, call them "owner, editor and visitor" permissions please -- then they won't collide with role naming.

keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

simpleton wrote:... Currently, we have this:

User permissions -> Select user -> Edit permissions (user, global moderator, admin)
Group permissions -> Select group -> Edit permissions (user, global moderator, admin)
Administrators -> Select users/groups -> Edit permissions (admin only)
Global moderators -> Select users/groups -> Edit permissions (global moderator only)

Global permissions -> Select users or groups -> Edit permissions (user, global moderator, admin)

The same is true of forum permissions. Currently there are:

Forum permissions -> Select forums -> Select users/groups -> Edit permission (forum permissions only)
Forum moderators -> Select forums -> Select users/groups -> Edit permission (forum moderator permissions only)
User forum permissions -> Select user -> Select forums -> Edit permissions (forum/forum moderator)
Group forum permissions -> Select group -> Select forums -> Edit permissions (forum/forum moderator)

Forum based permissions -> Select forums -> Select users/groups -> Edit permissions (forum and forum moderator permissions)
This would definitely make it easier apply the permissions.

(I suspect the support posts will significantly decrease.)

ameisez

Post by ameisez »

Additionally, forum with sub forum usually does not require post to be made. I think an option while creating the forum to set it as just a container (no post can be made) of another forum would be handy

GravityDK

Post by GravityDK »

A good use-case for this is "how do I allow a junior mod (ie. not a global mod) to make a post sticky"?
Currently it's convoluted.

I think the permission pages could definitely be improved, they're really confusing. I like the original suggestion.