Multi Quote (or even Multi Moderation)

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
ephemeraboy

Re: Multi Quote (or even Multi Moderation)

Post by ephemeraboy »

idiotnesia wrote:there is a good multi quote mod in mod in development though it is for old phpbb 3 version. I don't know if it's worked for 3.0.7 or not. :)
marked as abondened brother..
author is primehalo...
@ imkingdavid
Do U mean U agree the existing multi quote feature right now..??

and for the multimoderation,
hm..like it is not crucial feature for 3.1
My Idea, My Mind and My Continuation of The Dreams on
http://www.bonatius.com
An Industrial Engineer from Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB)

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

ephemeraboy wrote:
idiotnesia wrote:there is a good multi quote mod in mod in development though it is for old phpbb 3 version. I don't know if it's worked for 3.0.7 or not. :)
author is primehalo...
@ imkingdavid
No, I agree that having it on the actual post on viewtopic is better instead of the Topic Review. Although maybe keeping the topic review feature and adding the multi-quote option on viewtopic would be best.
Not crucial, but sure is quite handy, if you ask me. :)
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

idiotnesia

Post by idiotnesia »

ephemeraboy wrote:
author is primehalo...
@ imkingdavid

not by primehalo but by darkera13

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 1#p3091725
As I stated before, it is an old mod :D
idiotnesia wuz here

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

idiotnesia wrote:
ephemeraboy wrote:
author is primehalo...
@ imkingdavid

not by primehalo but by darkera13

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 1#p3091725
As I stated before, it is an old mod :D
There are a few different ones.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

code reader

Post by code reader »

general comment:
what you want is not necessarily a specific mod. what you want is specific functionality.

maybe it would be more productive to describe and discuss (it may get refined through the discussion) the precise functionality you want, rather than discuss mods that implement it.
you have to realize that no matter which mod you will point to - *some* of us will not be familiar with it. it is much better to describe exactly what it does. if the consensus will end up being that an existing mod fit the bill exactly, and if it will turn out that the code quality of this mod is adequate[1], then there should be no reason why this mod should not be used "as is" or with slight modifications. but this should not be a condition - the existence of the mod signals that someone did feel the need for the functionality - so let's discuss the functionality here and see if it's really needed, and maybe redefine it a bit. once we agree that the functionality is really needed, only then it makes sense to discuss whether or not to use any specific mod that implements it.

peace.

[1] not necessarily true for all mods - with all the respect, not all mods were written by professionals. this is not criticism - i admire the people who overcome obstacles to implement a feature they need, but this does not necessarily mean it would be a good idea to use this code in the code product.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

code reader wrote:general comment:
what you want is not necessarily a specific mod. what you want is specific functionality.

maybe it would be more productive to describe and discuss (it may get refined through the discussion) the precise functionality you want, rather than discuss mods that implement it.
you have to realize that no matter which mod you will point to - *some* of us will not be familiar with it. it is much better to describe exactly what it does. if the consensus will end up being that an existing mod fit the bill exactly, and if it will turn out that the code quality of this mod is adequate[1], then there should be no reason why this mod should not be used "as is" or with slight modifications. but this should not be a condition - the existence of the mod signals that someone did feel the need for the functionality - so let's discuss the functionality here and see if it's really needed, and maybe redefine it a bit. once we agree that the functionality is really needed, only then it makes sense to discuss whether or not to use any specific mod that implements it.

peace.

[1] not necessarily true for all mods - with all the respect, not all mods were written by professionals. this is not criticism - i admire the people who overcome obstacles to implement a feature they need, but this does not necessarily mean it would be a good idea to use this code in the code product.
Well put.
Off-topic note: wish they had a reputation built in here and phpbb.com. :lol:
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

code reader

Post by code reader »

Unknown Bliss wrote:Off-topic note: wish they had a reputation built in here and phpbb.com
you might want to dig here for very long and detailed discussion about "the karma system". (you'll have to go back to around 2005 or so....)
hundreds (maybe thousands) of posts, with very interesting discussions.
after reading some 10% of it i was convinced that a useful and usable karma is not practical for forums...

ephemeraboy

Post by ephemeraboy »

Reputation is no need to add in to 3.1
i have surveyed many forum use reputation feature (just Vbull, as IPBoard reputation system is bad i think :D )
many of them don't use this system..
yeah in addition this feature isn't related to the phpBB3 concept...

@code brekaer
do U think we (or me maybe) talk about MOD implemented Multi quote
like it looks like just flashback the development of this feature...(development we talk here marked as a MOD, not a core feature)

Hm..
why I think multi quote is important feature..
because user can choose what post to be quoted...
and the existing method is less efficient
You must scroll down to see what post U want to quoted
by added a multi quote button, user can quickly choose what post to quote...
My Idea, My Mind and My Continuation of The Dreams on
http://www.bonatius.com
An Industrial Engineer from Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB)

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

ephemeraboy wrote:Reputation is no need to add in to 3.1
i have surveyed many forum use reputation feature (just Vbull, as IPBoard reputation system is bad i think :D )
many of them don't use this system..
yeah in addition this feature isn't related to the phpBB3 concept...
Repuation is a MOD. I didn't mean add it to the phpBB Core, that would be quite pointless.

I was joking about just adding it for area 51 so that we can rep people on here as it would be useful, but it would never happen as A51 is vanilla phpBB

Jhtech101

Post by Jhtech101 »

I have to vote for multi-moderation being added in. It wouldn't create feature creep, it would be a good feature. It would make the job for moderators easier by requiring less pages to go to for making a simple post, and closing.

Reason I don't do this via the MODs is that I completely ruined a forum I had almost perfect. Restore failed on the database. For the whole day, I have been working extremely fast to fix it. My point is, I don't want to go through that again.