Group promotion. in phpbb 3.1

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 3.x branch of phpBB. The current feature release of phpBB 3 is 3.3/Proteus.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 3.3.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
ephemeraboy

Group promotion. in phpbb 3.1

Post by ephemeraboy »

should in 3.1 will be added group promotion (by total post, total warn, date join etc)..??
I think this feature's so crucial...
and for now mostly every forum added this feature as basic feature
I hope phpBB 3.1 will do this too... :mrgreen:
My Idea, My Mind and My Continuation of The Dreams on
http://www.bonatius.com
An Industrial Engineer from Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB)

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Re: Group promotion. in phpbb 3.1

Post by MichaelC »

i think this is similar to an events system that i think naderman discussed at londonvasion for phpBB 4 but I think the move to symphony scraped that and it would be a good idea to add this in 3.1
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

code reader

Post by code reader »

are you sure?
i was under the impression that "events" are meant for 3.1 (if i misunderstood, it won't be the first nor the last time).
in any event, i do not see any connection between the framework question and any specific feature, and this one included.
why would symphony make event system more or less likely?

peace.

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

Unknown Bliss wrote:i think this is similar to an events system that i think naderman discussed at londonvasion for phpBB 4 but I think the move to symphony scraped that and it would be a good idea to add this in 3.1
phpBB4 was never mentioned at Londonvasion (and wasn't even being considered at that time). You are referring to the presentation on 3.2 (now 3.1 with the new version numbering system).

idiotnesia

Post by idiotnesia »

Yes londonvasion discussed about features in ascraeus. There are a lot of cool features in the presentation. I hope some of them can be implemented in 3.1.
idiotnesia wuz here

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

Oh yeh, I was wrong. :oops: Sorry.

If the events system is still planned for 3.2 (now 3.1) wouldn't this already be planned to be included in this version?
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

It's unlikely that without major changes to the architecture of phpBB we can achieve an event system of the kind we hoped to implement. It was actually one of the reasons we realised that we need to focus on less invasive features in 3.1, and start planning a version 4.0 with fundamental differences. So I hope we can provide a few of the popular event-style features, like group promotion as features in 3.1 (potentially using hooks), but not through a generic event system.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

naderman wrote:It's unlikely that without major changes to the architecture of phpBB we can achieve an event system of the kind we hoped to implement. It was actually one of the reasons we realised that we need to focus on less invasive features in 3.1, and start planning a version 4.0 with fundamental differences. So I hope we can provide a few of the popular event-style features, like group promotion as features in 3.1 (potentially using hooks), but not through a generic event system.
Out of interest how were you planning to introduce the events system to work?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

In a perfect world, an events system would work something like the following:

Every action performed in the board would trigger a call (or calls, in all liklihood) to handle events.

An arbitrary example:

Code: Select all

function approve_post($post_id)
{
   global $user;

$events->handle->mcp->approve_post_pre($user, $post_id);

// do the actual approving

$events->handle->mcp->approve_post_post($user, $post_id);
}
This would probably have been doable. (In fact Nils had some kind of working concept)

But you run into a problem of generality. What if I want to perform multiple events on a single trigger? (What if Event B needs to be run before Event A, for example?) What if I only want to perform an event within a certain forum? (There's no reason why an approve_post function like written above would need to know what forum it was working on).

For what its worth, any inaccuracies here are a result of my fuzzy memory. Its been a while since Nils was talking about this :))
A_Jelly_Doughnut

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:In a perfect world, an events system would work something like the following:

Every action performed in the board would trigger a call (or calls, in all liklihood) to handle events.

An arbitrary example:

Code: Select all

function approve_post($post_id)
{
   global $user;

$events->handle->mcp->approve_post_pre($user, $post_id);

// do the actual approving

$events->handle->mcp->approve_post_post($user, $post_id);
}
This would probably have been doable. (In fact Nils had some kind of working concept)

But you run into a problem of generality. What if I want to perform multiple events on a single trigger? (What if Event B needs to be run before Event A, for example?) What if I only want to perform an event within a certain forum? (There's no reason why an approve_post function like written above would need to know what forum it was working on).

For what its worth, any inaccuracies here are a result of my fuzzy memory. Its been a while since Nils was talking about this :))
Ah right. And I belive nils had a problem with it looping and it wouln't detect it? So like getting 5 posts make a member get added to a group. And having 5 posts gets a member removed from that same group. It would have a loop and phpBB wouldn't detect it?