Git hooks

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
ToonArmy

Re: Git hooks

Post by ToonArmy »

Chris SmithBlogXMOOhlohArea51WikiNo support via PM/IM

igorw

Post by igorw »

Thanks, however now both stdout and stderr are being output with `php -l`. Actually I believe only stdout is stored in $result and sterr output directly.
PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE in - on line 3
PHP Syntax check failed:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE test.php line 3

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

eviL3 wrote:Thanks, however now both stdout and stderr are being output with `php -l`. Actually I believe only stdout is stored in $result and sterr output directly.
PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE in - on line 3
PHP Syntax check failed:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE test.php line 3
It doesn't output on stderr for me, how odd. :-/

igorw

Post by igorw »

Mac OS 10.6.3, PHP 5.3.1, GNU bash 3.2.48, GNU grep 2.5.4.

If it worked properly before I'd suggest reverting.

igorw

Post by igorw »

Another thing, are you sure you want all branch names to be added to commit messages? Instead of just (bug|feature) named branches.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

eviL3 wrote:Mac OS 10.6.3, PHP 5.3.1, GNU bash 3.2.48, GNU grep 2.5.4.

If it worked properly before I'd suggest reverting.
Well from what you suggest you get both outputs so if I just send stderr to /dev/null that should be fine.
eviL3 wrote:Another thing, are you sure you want all branch names to be added to commit messages? Instead of just (bug|feature) named branches.
Yup Nils wants the branch prefixed before all commit messages.

igorw

Post by igorw »

I've added the stderr null redirect. If it works on your end I'll send Nils the pull request.

ToonArmy

Post by ToonArmy »

eviL3 wrote:I've added the stderr null redirect. If it works on your end I'll send Nils the pull request.
Thumbs up. :)

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

One observation I have with the commit message hook is that if one starts the commit (git ci -a) and then quits without making any changes to the commit message, the commit would proceed due to commit message not being empty. Without the hook git would abort the commit.

I made some changes to remove bashisms from precommit hook so that it runs under freebsd's /bin/sh: http://github.com/p/phpbb3/compare/deve ... us...hooks

igorw

Post by igorw »

That is true, but I don't see an easy way around it. The current approach gives you full control over the commit message but also forces you to remove it if you want to abort the commit. Suggestions welcome.

Does freebsd not support bash? Or to put it differently, are there many platforms that do not support bash?

Could you perhaps rename your branch to git-tools, so we have some consistency? I'm just saying this because Chris (ToonArmy) also has a "hooks" branch which serves a completely different purpose.