[RFC] Post log/record

Note: We are moving the topics of this forum and it will be deleted at some point

Publish your own request for comments/change or patches for the next version of phpBB. Discuss the contributions and proposals of others. Upcoming releases are 3.2/Rhea and 3.3.
EXreaction

[RFC] Post log/record

Post by EXreaction »

Much like Wikipedia or some other forum software keeps records of old posts when they are edited I believe that's probably something that should be done for 4.0. Along with better logs kept for who did what this would greatly increase accountability.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Post log/record

Post by DavidIQ »

Not sure that I agree with logging EVERY single action a user makes. That would dramatically increase database size. I guess maybe having this on som sort of switch would be fine.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I am talking about recording the changes made when editing posts. Like how revisions of wiki articles are with mediawiki.

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

At many sites posts table is the largest one already. Making it even larger by storing old post revisions will make just about everything slower and increase db size. A site I used to admin wanted to remove old posts due to perceived performance impact of having so many. I suspect there is going to be demand to make this feature optional, at least once people understand how it works.

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

nn- wrote:At many sites posts table is the largest one already. Making it even larger by storing old post revisions will make just about everything slower and increase db size. A site I used to admin wanted to remove old posts due to perceived performance impact of having so many. I suspect there is going to be demand to make this feature optional, at least once people understand how it works.
That is exactly what I'm talking about :)

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

On which note, if this feature does get implemented the old versions should probably be stored in a table other than posts (e.g. post_versions). This is how some other versioning software works (I don't know about Wikipedia).

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

I think this would be a very useful feature. As mentioned it should be configurable, at least an on/off switch, but I could imagine pruning options for edits/group based settings etc. And yes the data should be stored in a separate table so it does not impact query performance for regular reads.

Exreaction: Please either bring this RFC into the proper format (add it to the wiki, preferably add some more details), or move this topic to the discussion forum.

MichaelC
Development Team
Development Team

Post by MichaelC »

This would be a good feature but there should be an on/off switch, a field saying maximum disk space for old posts, leave blank for unlimited (so it limit how much db space it would use and prune old ones), a button to prune from before a selected date or prune all.
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
No unsolicited PMs please except for quotes.

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

Unknown Bliss wrote:This would be a good feature but there should be an on/off switch, a field saying maximum disk space for old posts, leave blank for unlimited (so it limit how much db space it would use and prune old ones), a button to prune from before a selected date or prune all.
I would not limit the db space that it can use.. I would limit the number of revisions that are store. eg. 0 for unlimeted 1 for 1 revision and so on.. Because I doubt that all post are the same amount of db space
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

Rotsblok wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:This would be a good feature but there should be an on/off switch, a field saying maximum disk space for old posts, leave blank for unlimited (so it limit how much db space it would use and prune old ones), a button to prune from before a selected date or prune all.
I would not limit the db space that it can use.. I would limit the number of revisions that are store. eg. 0 for unlimeted 1 for 1 revision and so on.. Because I doubt that all post are the same amount of db space
Agreed. You could have a max limit of, say... 5 revisions per post. Or even just 2 or something.

I think to add to this would be to give the moderator the ability to not only compare past revisions, but also to restore the post to an older revision (or a newer one, if it's already at an older revision). It could be helpful in some situations. :P
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.